Labrador puppy digging up plants

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Jennifer Spence, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Jennifer Spence

Jennifer Spence Registered Users

My 6 month old male lab has generally been pretty good in our garden and not nibbling on too many plants. Although cushions are another story (I've just removed them to save a lot of trouble). But he's now worked out how to get around a metal fence we have to block off my rhododendrons and azaleas, which he seems to just love (hence the temporary fencing). Just come home to find he's completely dug up one of my beautiful rhododendrons. What's the next best step to take. He's definitely in the dog house at present

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Jennifer Spence
    You can try putting very large tocks down or laying chicken wire just under the surface.

Positive route. Create his own 'sand box'. Bury treats in it to encourage digging in that area.

Jennifer Spence likes this.
  3. Michael A Brooks

Rocks not tocks

4. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

Hmm. We use tall garden edging, but I think wrapping that in chicken wire as Michael jas suggested would be more effective as the dog will then perceive it as a single barrier and there won't be any gaps.

5. Michael A Brooks

@Jennifer Spence

What toys does he have in the garden? If none, think also of some interactive toys to keep him stimulated.

6. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

I give my pup frozen kongs, dogwood, and thow treats to find.
    She is never allowed out on her own as she eats sticks and stones.
    She had zoomies the other day and pulled up one of my ornamental grass I replanted it hoping it will survive.

7. Jennifer Spence

Jennifer Spence Registered Users

Hi Michael, he's got heaps of toys, a kong, interactive toys and balls etc. etc... My plants and cushions are obviously much more appealing!!!!

8. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

It's not necessarily about providing lots of toys, it's about providing toys which interest him. As such, they are best rotated so he doesn't see the same toys every day and therefore they are more exciting to him when he sees them again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder ;)

9. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Until he was about about a year old Loki could only be in the garden with direct supervision ( someone actually playing with him). Hes gradually got better so he can now amuse himself if I'm in the greenhouse or seeing to the chickens but id still never leave him unattended. You might find you just need to wait for your puppy to grow up.

10. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I don't allow my dogs in the garden unsupervised, ever. There are simply too many things they could get up to which are dangerous or would destroy the yard....

11. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Our Labs have always had free access to the yard through a dog door. We loose the occasional plant, but it is worth it. Recently we lost a small Rhody, mostly because we are taking care of a Sammy who runs the back fence occasionally and Cooper runs with him. The unfortunate Rhody happened to be in the wrong location. Mostly they leave the plants alone.