Laid back 3 month old

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Alex31, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Alex31

Alex31 Registered Users

Hello,

Firstly what an awesome forum site. :) it certainly alleviates a few anxieties I have around being a novice dog owner.

I bought my beautiful male black lab at a late stage of 3 months. (according to breeder, she likes her pups fully vaxxed before leaving her kennels) He had two health checks along with his vaccinations. So according to her he is fit and healthy. He was raised with his brother and mum. When I met him he was very laid back, not very lively or jumping around just very chilled and accepting in the shed he was in. He's been at home now for just under a week, and is so laid back. He's very relaxed and likes to sleep alot, i engage him in activities both mentally and physically when he is up for it but most of the time he just sleeps or will only engage for a few minutes! It concerns me, or should i not be concerned. He eats and drinks well, and loves his small walks 3 times a day. Obviously as a novice dog owner I worry about such little things..... he has a health check coming up with the vets soon........ anybody else pick up a lab around this time? with the same behaviours?

Thanks

Al

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I can't advise, but I'm not sure whether to be concerned, or very envious ;)

3. Ivypup

Ivypup Registered Users

Give him a few more weeks, you'll be wishing you had you're laid back puppy back! It's completely normal for puppies to sleep a lot, make the most of it!!

4. Smokybear

Smokybear Registered Users

Smoky, my chocolate lab, was that same way for about 5-6 months. We would take him to the park and he would play for 15-20 minutes, then sleep for 3 hours straight. Right in the middle of the park with everyone playing. Then he'd wake up, play for 20-30 minutes to eat, drink and take another nap. Savor these few months before he really wakes up. Smoky is now 4.5 years old and has energy for DAYS. Literally, we can go camping and he won't stop playing/swimming in the beach for 2-3 days. When we get back home he sleeps for a day or two, casually waking up to pee or eat :). After a day and a half or so, he's all charged up and ready to go again. I miss the pre-6 month Smoky sometimes. Nothing is wrong with your dog.