Laparoscopic spay

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Karen, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poppy is booked in for a spay on Wednesday. We were at the vet's today for the pre-op discussion and health check. My head knows this is the right thing to do for health reasons (Poppy has had several epileptic seizures, which seem to be connected to her cycle, and of course now she absolutely must not get pregnant, both for her health and for any pups), but emotionally I am finding it hard... I know lots of people have their dogs spayed quite routinely, but I never thought we would be doing this. :(

The surgeon was very good, took plenty of time and talked us through the operation and told us exactly what to expect post-spay. We also confirmed that, unless during the operation there seems to be any abnormality with the uterus, that the surgeon will only perform an ovariectomy - he reassured us this will give as much protection against a possible pyometra infection as full removal of the uterus and ovaries would. The advantages of the laparoscopic spay in comparison to a traditional spay seem manifold - much less invasive, a lot less painful for the dog, quicker recovery, a lower incidence of incontinence, no need to wear the cone of shame, and she can come straight home just a couple of hours after the operation. The only downside seems to be the increased cost - our normal vet would have done a traditional spay for 450 euros; the laparoscopic spay at this high-tech animal clinic is almost double that... but it's worth it for me, especially considering that stress and pain can be triggers for Poppy to have a seizure.

I'll be glad when these next few days are over.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sounds like you have a great vet Karen. It's a very tough decision which you didn't think you would have to make, also a shame Poppy can't have puppies. You have made this decision to protect Poppy's health so there was only ever one way to go. I hope Poppy will be OK and recover well and I truly hope she never has another seizure. I will be thinking about you both on Wednesday. Let us know how she is please. xx

Karen likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Aw, big hugs. I know you'll have said it to others, but it's far worse for you than for her. You're doing absolutely the right thing, as you already know, but it's obviously tough for you. :(

The thought of going through seasons with Luna really worries me, so it's great to have someone like you who just took it in their stride and didn't simply consider it an inconvenience to be solved by spaying. No doubt I'll be knocking on your metaphorical door for advice when the time comes :)

Karen likes this.
  4. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Annie was Laparoscopic spayed and she was wonderful after the operation. You would not have known she had anything done. I didn't really want her spayed, but having Fred as well, one or the other needed to be done.Try not to worry (I know you will) she will be fine. Annie came home in the afternoon and slept. Was her normal self next day. Will be thinking of you on Wednesday.

Karen likes this.
  5. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Thinking of you both over the next few days. Sounds like you have a fantastic vet and surgeon. Keep busy yourself, if you can! Lots of love x

Karen likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Love and hugs to you both.

Karen likes this.
  7. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Ah, yes, I can understand how you feel. Like others have said though, no doubt at all you are doing the right thing. This spay has got to be SO much better for Poppy in view of the seizures as much as anything else.
    I'm hoping I'll be given this option when it comes time for Molly to be spayed.

Thinking of you both xx

Karen likes this.
  8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

it'll be a tough day for you, but we'll all be thinking of you - and I'm sure Poppy will take it in her stride.

Karen likes this.
  9. MF

MF Registered Users

Thinking of you. This decision has been so hard for you and I really feel for you. Best of luck on Wednesday.

Karen likes this.
  10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sending you big hugs. I know this isn't what you wanted to do, but as you said, you need to for her health. I wasn't going to spay Harley until she got pyometra after her first season so do have an inkling into how you are feeling. I've heard that the laparoscopic option is the best one.
    We will be thinking if you both on Wednesday. Sending lots of tummy rubs to
    Poppy xx

Karen likes this.
  11. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Sending lots of positive thoughts for tomorrow. Maisie had the laparoscopic spay and recovered very quickly once the GA had worn off. I think the effect of the GA was the most difficult thing to deal with and of course trying to keep her quiet! xx

Karen likes this.
  12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Good wishes for a quick recovery.

Did your Vet say the operation would take longer? My OH had a Whipple laprascopically. Three small holes instead of one big one. The op itself took longer but recovery is said to be much faster.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

No, we didn't talk about that; I only know that we can pick her up three hours later. They are going to clean her teeth at the same time, which will take a little longer.

14. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Thinking of you both today.

15. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hope all goes well today.

16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sending kind thoughts and hugs

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hope all goes well today. Big hugs x

18. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Thinking of you both today and sending fast healing wishes x

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Will be thinking of you Karen , a sad day I`m sure but the right thing to do for your dear Poppy xxx

20. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Thinking of you both, the hard bit is over, making the decision in the first place, and the journey you have both been on to get to this point. I am sure Poppy will take this in her stride and it will be onwards and upwards from now, with the spring to look forward too! :)