Laryngeal Paralysis

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Bob, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

No! His dog sniffed my dog's bottom so my dog turned round and growled at the dog, the owner (who I was training with) picked up my dog by his slip lead and hung him. I said you are suffocating him and he said 'that's the point'. I never went to that training or have seen him again.

2. MF

MF Registered Users

Oh my word! Sadly I fell into a similar situation when Snowie was 1.5 yo. Dogs had to wear a collar for training, no harness. Trainer insisted Snowie wear a slip collar - soft leather. She said it was the only way to control a boisterous dog. And when he pulled like a steam engine, she held onto his leash - wearing leather gloves herself! - so that he was choking horribly. Of course it didn't stop him wanting to get to whatever was exciting. I was an idiot and didn't know better. Thank goodness I came to my senses before the course ended and got rid of the choke collar and found a positive-only trainer. Hopefully Snowie wasn't damaged; he doesn't cough. Amazing that there are still trainers like this out there.

Stacia likes this.
  3. Bob

Bob Registered Users

OK, we're 6 months post operation and the change continues to be remarkable. Katie is well and now able to go for a run in the park. No real breathing problems. Can't bark any more even though she tries to when she thinks it's her food time. She's still ravenous and even in the elevated slow feed bowl, it's gone within 2 minutes. We've not let her swim as we're not prepared to take the risk. She still has hydrotherapy but limited to the treadmill. She does cough sometimes when gulping down drinking water but still manageable at the moment. Katie has been a therapy dog visiting our local hospital for 9 years and still visits :eek: If you want to see how she looks she is on Facebook as KC Therapy Dogs or on Twitter as @KatieAndCookie. Hope this helps anyone thinking about the op

Kelsey&Axel, Sven, Joy and 2 others like this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

This is lovely news to hear about Katie, glad she is doing so well.

Bob likes this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Really heart warming! :)

Bob likes this.
  6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Lovely news !

Bob likes this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Great news - thanks for coming back to share it :)

Bob likes this.
  8. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Glad all is well and on the up. I agree about the tail wagging that is all the thanks you need.

Bob likes this.