laryngeal paralysis

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Susi, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Susi

Susi Registered Users

Hello,
    I'm brand new to this blog/forum (as of a few minutes ago).
    I received some pretty devastating news earlier this week in that my 13 year old yellow lab was diagnosed with lar par. We have been told to keep him as cool as possible (live in Ohio) and now I'm praying for an early winter. I am hoping he acts like his old self during cooler months (is this wishful thinking or will he really be better when heat and humidity are gone?).
    I am wondering if anyone reading this has any helpful advice. We are not leaning toward surgery as this is not his only issue but definitely the most severe issue he has.
    Honestly, I'm petrified that the worst case scenario may happen (not able to catch his breath and suffocate). It's hot and humid here now and he still needs to go out to go to the bathroom. We are taking very short walks (3 to 4/10ths of a mile). Neither myself or his dad have AC.
    One room AC is upstairs and I can get him up there at night but he'd never stay in that room during the day. Fan seems to be very helpful for him daytime (serious floor fan--not pedestal fan).
    Hope I did this right and that it is not too long.
    Thank you for any insight/advice you can give me.
    Susi

2. Ridd3ll

Ridd3ll Registered Users

Hi Susi

Welcome. We are just new to the forum too. I’m sorry to hear your lab is not well.

I’ve never heard of lar par before but for keeping your lab cool, could you maybe put some damp/cold towels down somewhere for him to lie down??? or fill a water bottle with some cold water and pop in freezer for bit then wrap in a towel and pop in his bed to lie on?

xx