LAT

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Atemas, May 22, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Been doing a lot of Look at that with Red on our daily walks on lead. This morning we saw 3 cats, birds on the grass, a man walking his dog, went past 3 people, a lady sitting on a bench and a very noisy tractor went by as we sat waiting to cross the road. No pulling, she just redirected her look back to me (boring bits of kibble were enough to do it!). I am not naive enough to know she will do this everytime but hopefully preparing her for times when we are really out and about in busier places than our village.

Joy, lucky_dog, charlie and 2 others like this.
  2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

A very promising start!:) The only I would do slightly differently is up the treat value, to make the reward very reinforcing, especially as it's a relatively new behaviour you are shaping.

Snowshoe likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

This is my problem @Beanwood - Red has had a lot of digestion problems hence only kibble for treats. This makes certain things really difficult e.g. Recall but that's for another thread in the future :rolleyes:. I am really wanting to introduce more exciting things but nervous of upsetting her system which 'touch wood' has been so much better recently. I don't know if the digestive problems are just a maturity thing and won't know until I try - just not quite brave enough to try just yet ;).

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

How about a roasted, dehydrated version of the protein used in kibble? I do bake a lot of treats myself, either using fish based recipes with gluten free rice flour or similar. I also have made venison liver bites, they ADORE those! :)

5. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

@Beanwood your treats sound . It's turkey in her kibble so I will roast some turkey (making my mouth water!) and give that a try. I do have a dehydrator so could do that. Thank you.

6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

If high value treats are a problem you can always increase the number of bits of kibble instead while working on your LAT :). Dogs do understand about quantity and that 3 is lots more than 1 :D:D

Beanwood and Atemas like this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That sounds great, well done both of you :) x

8. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Great - I'm really glad it is going so well. She's doing a great job, especially for such a young puppy! :)

selina27 likes this.