Lead biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Joy, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

In very particular circumstances Molly has started to grab and bite at her lead. It never happens on walks (she walks nicely on a loose lead) and not when I'm practising competition heelwork alone at the park or wherever.
    It has happened at two different training classes when we are doing on-lead competition-style heelwork. This afternoon we went to our second monthly rally class. Molly did one round fairly well (i.e. No lead biting and pretty good heel position) but when the trainer asked us to repeat it, she started biting the lead and tugging at it. Saying 'leave it' didn't work, so I dropped the lead and walked away. She gave the lead a few shakes and then followed me carrying it and when I asked for a sit was willing to engage with me again.
    Later in the class she did the same thing but wouldn't respond at all, so the trainer told me to take the lead off. Molly then did the round off-lead, a bit sluggishly, but certainly not attempting to run off or be silly and doing all the turns and sits correctly. A couple of weeks ago I had the same thing at the obedience class I attend.

I feel a bit deflated as the heelwork I've been doing with Molly by ourselves has really been coming on and showing improvement. I'm also a bit sad because I think Molly is saying she doesn't like the classes and is bored. When I work with her on my own I always stop to play tug after a few minutes (with a toy not the lead!) before doing another few minutes heelwork.

I want to keep going to classes to give Molly the experience of working with the distractions of other dogs. For competition she has to do both on-lead and off-lead heelwork.

Any thoughts?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Luna does this sometimes if she's frustrated and/or bored.

I would spend some time making heel work something really fun and engaging. Forget regular drills and just play - go from a stop to a sprint and back to a stop, back up quickly, just try to catch her out. Laugh when you do, throw a party when she wins. If she loves a ball, throw that as a reward every now and again. If she's tactile, you can add in a few bum slaps to add arousal - but you need to know your dog for this. Luna loves it, Willow would be horrified! Make yourself the most animated, clownish parody of yourself you can. What you're aiming for is that heel work in itself becomes rewarding.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Nell does this too , a preformed habit .She adores carrying feathers so I keep one in my pocket and let her carry it , she cant bite her lead if she has a feather in her mouth but anything would do ! . I realise this isn't the same as your situation Joy , but thought I`d post for anyone who has a dog who tugs at the lead whilst walking x

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just a thought @Joy I re read , and you say that when you practice at home , you stop after a few minutes to have a play with a toy . I`m wondering if Molly think that this is what should be happening at class , and as you aren't stopping and giving her a toy , she is protesting ?

5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes, I think this could be it. I've been doing the 'zen bowls' idea (like the August forum challenge) sometimes with food and sometimes with a toy. Molly's been really attentive waiting to see when she's going to be sent for the prize.
    If I'm going to continue with classes, I'll have to ask the trainers if I can stop and reward with play every so often.

kateincornwall likes this.
  6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think she does enjoy it when we do it out and about as part of a 'walk' - she'll often come to me and nudge me to get me interacting with her. I think I get too uptight in classes (apart from at the dog club where I'm also a trainer -Molly is very relaxed there, but we don't do 'proper' heelwork) and need to make a plan for building in play rewards in these classes.
    I can't see Molly taking kindly to bum slaps!:p The thing she loves is tug.