licking shaved area on front leg - any natural remedies to ease itching and soothe?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by NickyW, Mar 12, 2017.

1. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

Bella has had a CT scan on her elbows (not great news), so we are using Metacam, attempting to lose more weight (she has lost 4kg - down from 36.5kg when I adopted her a year ago to 32.5kg now) and supposedly lead walking for six weeks before another consultation with the orthopaedic vet. The vet says she needs to be 'on the lean side of normal', which won't please her!! Her front leg was shaved pre-anaesthesia, and she has been licking it, so it's looking sore. I guess it's itchy. I don't have a cone, and will phone the vet tomorrow (it's Sunday!) for advice, but just wondered whether anyone has any good home remedies to ease the itching. Obviously, I'll take vet advice, but thought it worth asking.

I'll search for threads on elbow dysplasia and osteoarthritis, as I'm sure there is lots of info on the forum about that. Bella is 5 in June, so we are hoping to avoid surgery, as she is coping quite well with gentle regular walks, but it's tough to fight the flab when exercise is reduced. Any advice welcome! Thank you! :)

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor Bella sorry the news isn't so good :( She is doing well with the weight loss so keep going it will be worth it. As far as her licking the shaved area, as you don't have a cone, which by the way is always worthwhile having one in a cupboard just in case! you could put a long sock on her leg and secure it so that she doesn't get it off. Worth a try :) x

kateincornwall likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good idea from Helen above.
    I have done this myself, but if Bella is unsupervised, nothing will really stop her.
    Anything you put ON her skin she will just want to lick off.

Do you have a Pets at Home shop nearby? I think they sell the Elizabethan collars.

The other thing is, for the weight loss and exercise, she might enjoy swimming - they may have a hydrotherapy pool near where you are?

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree with trying to cover it. Tape the sock above her elbow (making sure it's not pulled up too much that it's tight on her foot).

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You could use vet wrap, too - also worth keeping in stock - if she doesn't try and pull it off.

6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

50/50 vinegar and water, cold water, really works but doesn't last long. Also good for sunburn if you get one, takes the stingy itch right out. Epson salts in water might help. Neither if there is open wound or even abrasion. A mix of witch hazel, vinegar and water is in a jar in my fridge right now, unused for so long I forget the amounts.

7. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Aloe Vera gel would probably soothe the area and it wouldn't hurt if licked off either.

8. MF

MF Registered Users

Recommended to me by someone who worked at a dog shelter was half-half cortisone cream and anaesthetic gel immediately followed by a walk to prevent her licking the area, gives it time to work.

I've never tried the anaesthetic gel on Snowie so I can't personally vouch for it.