Licking sofa and drooling a lot...

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by markclaxton, Mar 31, 2016.

1. markclaxton

markclaxton Registered Users

Hi!

Our 9-month-old chocolate labrador sometimes licks our sofa and today my partner caught him doing it and he was drooling excessively. His nose is also really wet.

Is there something wrong? It's maybe once a week he does this and we're not sure why.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi Mark , the short answer could be that he just likes the taste, my own dog does this very occasionally . Re the drooling , mine is also a drooler, especially when he is excited or anticipating food , so maybe the taste idea isn't so daft :) As long as he is happy and healthy in every other way , I wouldn't worry too much, try to distract him if you can, before it becomes a habit

3. markclaxton

Thanks.

As far as we can tell he's a healthy dog, plenty of walks etc. Is there any other signs we need to be on the watch for in case it could be something different?

4. David

David Registered Users

My dog does it too and it's really annoying. I think she just likes the taste of the under-fabric. We discourage her but .......

5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Do you have a leather sofa? One of our labs does this, I just plonk a throw over and this seems to stop him :)

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,
    Have you dropped some food or slopped some tea/coffee/wine? Might sound a daft thing to suggest but I was sitting in Dexter"s bed with him and he knocked me and I spilt some tea,he had a good lick there and then and visited the scene of my slovenliness with his tongue many times after.....he's forgotten about it now or he's licked finally it away!

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

So which bed exactly is this then? :D:D

Dexter likes this.
  8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ha ha ha ha ha,I can't do smileys at the mo!
    It was actually Dexter's real DOG bed for once! Not our bedroom double that is now known as one of Dexter's beds! I've spent a lot of time there recently as we have had a houseful of folks over from the UK and not enough sofa space! :)

9. markclaxton

Unless someone has spilt something in my absence I don't know of any spillages on the sofa where he licks it a lot.

I'm going to assume he's ok though as there's no signs of ill health and his licking the sofa isn't something he does all the time.

Thanks for the help!

10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

both of mine will lick where our heads or legs have been its a bit weird but not a unusual thing in my house. Rory likes to lick the aera wher my OH legs have been on a chair. My OH does not wear trousers in the house and Rory likes man sweat? I get them to stop it seems ok