Limping....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jojo, Dec 17, 2015.

1. jojo

jojo Registered Users

My SBT Stan was put to sleep a year ago tomorrow and I haven't had a great year for lots of reasons. I'm not prone to overreacting normally but i think my reserves are at an all time low. The slightest thing sets me off. When Rocco tore his ligament last week i convinced myself it was arthritis and he'd never walk properly again. lol. he's running round the garden at the minute. The husband is moaning about money and all so close to Christmas and he's been told not so politely to take a long walk off a short pier!!!

2. jojo

jojo Registered Users

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

jojo so sorry to hear today's news, but she's looking very relaxed regardless of what's going on with her legs/elbows. I would say not to worry and stress but I know you will (been there, done that and got the Tshirt :rolleyes:) and Monday will soon be here. It's certainly not often we wish time to go faster and as Jacqui says 16 weeks is young for ED to show, Juno was just turning 5 months and I still beat myself up sometimes that I may have missed earlier signs. Hopefully you'll have some answers from the vet on Monday.

Sympathies with the husband, they can be so maddening at times particularly when we we're upset and stressed. I'm guessing he didn't follow up on your suggestion though :D

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So sorry to hear this about having to go to the emergency vet. I hope Monday brings answers and a way forward for you.

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sure that everything seems to be way too much right now. Do try to wait for the x-Rays before coming to conclusions though - it might not be what you are imagining. But whatever it is the vet will work out a plan with you and you can get on with dealing with it.

That's a lovely photo. She's a beautiful girl and looking very happy and relaxed in that pic :)

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thinking of you and hoping things work out well on Monday

7. jojo

jojo Registered Users

Well, having chatted to my idiot husband it transpires she may have a fracture...she jumped up in the hall the other day and landed awkwardly, yelped at the time. About 24 hours before the limping started. Humeral condylar fractures are so common in young dogs as well. He'll be taking that long walk if that's what it is. Grrrrr

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Might just be a strain or something. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a fracture.

Go gently on the hubby..... :)

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

At least you can relate it to an accident/incident.
    He was brave to confess that to you I think.......

10. jojo

jojo Registered Users

X-rays are inconclusive so they're being sent to the ortho in Dublin. I did notice some crepitus in the elbow when I put her harness on this morning as did the vet when she was positioning her for X-ray. But then couldn't feel it again when she manipulated the joint. It's all very strange. She says its probably either a growth plate fracture or ocd. So now I'm stuck with trying to rest a puppy until the ortho sees the films. It's going to be after Christmas at this rate.

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hopefully the Ortho will see the films and get back to the vet quickly so you can at least have a diagnosis before Christmas. For Juno it wasn't until we had an MRI that we could get a full diagnosis as the malformation doesn't show on x-ray. What has been the vets advice about exercise? My vet would let us have 2 x 15 minute walks a day on lead, no running or jumping but life as normal apart from that. I know from other members posts that I am incredibly lucky with Juno who is a quiet relaxed girl who didn't even need to be crated after her surgery.

Try not to worry too much about what may or may not be the problem Piper will still be Piper, and she will have a long happy, healthy life with you. I think it's something we can learn from our pups - live for today, and don't worry about what tomorrow will bring.

12. jojo

jojo Registered Users

She has to have total rest until the results are back....this is proving somewhat difficult!!! Lol.

13. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

jojo just catching up on your post, sending you big hugs and sympathies on the OH front. I've been there too.

Lovely photo she's a beautiful little girl. Xx

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Oh, that;s not so good as for total rest you.re really talking about crating apart from toileting as it is about the only way to keep them quiet and they really need to be on a lead when coming out of the crate to prevent the inevitable hoolie if given any opportunity Hope you get the diagnosis very soon.