Lip licking over a year now

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by stevesnj, Oct 11, 2021.

1. stevesnj

stevesnj Registered Users

My 5 year old male, intact, 85lbs, has been constantly licking his lips for a year now. I have been to two vets with multiple possible solutions tried but to no avail. What i have tried;

• Change food to different brands and ingredients
    • Changed treat formulations, use Blue Buffalo natural treats and carrots. Stopped all treats for a month as a test
    • Changes laundry detergents and fabric softeners and stopped softener for a few months
    • Used Healthy Mouth dental water additive
    • Using currently dental sticks for cleaning teeth, he doesn't like brushing. They work great to clean.
    • X rays from tail to jaw
    • Changed bowls from stainless steel to ceramic
    • Tried medications for stomach/GI issues currently use Pepcid and that sometimes seem to help but was on stronger stuff that didn't work.
    • Visual dental exam doesn't show any cracked teeth or other tooh issues.

He likes to chew on wood but the doctor saw no splinters in his mouth. He opens/stretches his mouth but doesn't yawn. He has lately been scared of things and for some reason the reversing beeper of a delivery truck causes him to just on me and sometimes shake but just for a few minutes but this just started the past few months. Ugghh. But he does it and sleeps in my bed with me and he sometimes wakes up and does it. I just haven't done allergy tests yet but reaching out to see if anyone heard of such a thing or a solution I can try. The allergy tests I'm sure are expensive and comprehensive dental x rays of his mouth are thousands. So any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Hi there
    It sounds like he is quite distressed with the jaw stretching and licking. Has the vet actually managed to examine his mouth properly?
    When does the lip licking take place? Mine does it sometimes if he sits in front of me and I rub his chest.

stevesnj likes this.
  3. stevesnj

stevesnj Registered Users

Yes the vet checked each tooth for cracks and looseness. Also an xray of the jaw. No issues from those exams. He licks maybe for 10 min straight, stops for 20 min then licks again. He sorta sleeps okay, I sometimes hear him licking during the night.

Ivypup likes this.