Logging in after 6 months!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sudhanshu, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sudhanshu

Sudhanshu Registered Users

I am logging in after a long time. I logged in when I got Hachi at 8 weeks and got a lot of useful advice from everyone here.

I probably need some more advice now

Hachi is almost 10 months now and he has grown into a 70 lbs pup. I have friends who have labradors and even they agree that Hachi is the most energetic dog they have ever come across. Over the last 2 months or so, his energy has doubled, he is constantly humping me whenever he is excited. And this after long walks and lots of play. (Good thing he never humps my wife since she is stricter and hence she gets more respect). He generally starts humping after play and when I push him away, he starts nipping really bad. I am not complaining about Hachi - he is a sweet pup, he is my darling but his constant humping and nipping is preventing me to play a lot with him these days. As soon as he starts doing this, I have to force him to go to pen or I myself leave the room.

We also welcomed a baby boy a month back and Hachi definitely doesn't like the attention getting divided. He does strange things to grab attention. May be, and I say may be, his constant humping and nipping is also because he is asking for more attention. My wife had a Cesarian so she doesn't interact with him much which leaves me to manage him and I am at office for 8 hours. My Dad tries his best but Hachi's energy is no match with my Dad's energy. He enjoys playing with me only.

I finally decide to NEUTER him. The vet says they will keep him at the hospital for 24 hours and then ask me to take him home. My worry here is - Hachi is really a high energy dog. He is going to hate the Cone of Shame, he is going to hate being in a crate and he is going to hate not getting enough exercise or play.

Do dogs really have to avoid jumping/playing till 10-14 days after neutering? Or it depends on his recovery. And how do I know that he has recovered fully. I will ask these questions to my vet tomorrow when i drop him off for neuter though - but anyone with similar experience with a high energy labrador. And will his humping/nipping improve after neuter. He gets so excited that I can see his "happy" state whenever he decides to hump me. And if I say 'No' and push him back, he starts nipping :)

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have had three dogs castrated and never had to use the cone. I am wondering if you are playing too vigorously with Hachi? Your Father perhaps can find other ways of entertaining Hachi while you are at work, like some training (clicker training) which will tire Hachi's brain, hiding little tidbits or a ball for Hachi to find. I don't think castration will quieten him down, should stop the humping unless that is now a learned behaviour.

Yes, I am afraid you do need to keep Hachi quiet after his op, but the time soon passes.

kateincornwall likes this.