Long-haired lab puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by blackmethlab, Oct 10, 2018.

1. blackmethlab

blackmethlab Registered Users

I recently got a black lab puppy from a someone on craigslist because I'm a cold heartless monster. He showed me pictures of the parents but I never actually saw them. I don't really think he lied about the puppy being full lab and the parents looked like perfect, classic black labs, BUT this is my first lab and her hair is sort of long, straight and fluffy.

She's just over 11 weeks old now, she has a white medallion on her chest, and she has the typical english lab head shape.

It's amazing how sweet and well behaved she is, but I still can't get it out of my head why she has this coat! When I look up long-haired lab puppies they all seem to have wavy hair but her's is straight.

Anyway, it ultimately won't change anything but I really must satisfy this curiosity about whether this guy lied to me, it's just a genetic abnormality, or she is actually a mix.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @blackmeth the breed standard for Labs is short hair. Can you show us the photos of the parents?

3. Browneyedhandsomebuddy

Browneyedhandsomebuddy Registered Users

Sorry, cold heartless monster?

4. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Looks a little Newfie to me,..totally gorgeous

5. Mango

Mango Registered Users

Gorgeous little thing! So cute. His hair is a bit long, so he is probably a lab-mix. If you want to know, you can take a DNA test.

6. Aisling Labs

Aisling Labs Registered Users

There is a long coat gene. A breeder I am friends with just had a litter of five where one had a long puppy coat; the Dam and Sire were tested after the whelping for the gene but were found not to have it. Several other breeders explained that once the puppy's adult coat came in, it would be unlikely to have anything other than the normal coat Labradors are known for. And a white mark on the chest is a fault not a disqualification according to the U.S. standard. If you are really curious about whether you have a pure bred Labrador, the DNA test is not that expensive to have done.

http://surrylabradors.blogspot.com/2007/09/long-haired-gene-in-labradors.html

7. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

There is a long-coated gene, as Aisling says. If both parents carried it, it is very possible that they look totally normal short-coats, but have together produced a long-coated pup. There are probably other Affected puppies in the litter as well....

8. Sabine74

Sabine74 Registered Users

He looks more like a Borador to me. I have seen full Labs with white spots on their chest though, so it's possible that he's a full Lab. Either way he is totally adorable :heart:

9. christina2634

christina2634 Registered Users

My 5 year old is full lab and has a white mark on his chest, but the long coat does not look lab to me. Your pup definitely looks like a mix. He’s really, really cute!!!

10. Tropey

Tropey Registered Users

She looks just like my 18 week girl. My girl is a Lab x Border collie. Mum was a black lab, dad was a border collie. My girl looks just like a lab with a long coat and a white strip on her chest, almost identical to yours.
    My guess is that she is a Borador (Labrador x Border Collie).
    Your little girl is beautiful by the way!

Sabine74 likes this.
  11. Akitashixx

Akitashixx Registered Users

Awww she looks like my Hershey, she looked like this when she was little and now she's 4 and has long curly black/red in sun fur with a white spot on the chest. She didn't grow much and it turns out she is a Cocker lab mix. Her mom was stray whicj was recued and had puppies two weeks after being rescued. We never found her father but we have encountered her siblings and they are much bigger than Hershey