Looking at breeders/questions!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Teller's mom, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

Did you not think the bottom pups handsome? And, I am sure I might be able to find some better choices but I haven't yet. There's also the matter of travelling. I don't feel comfortable having a puppy shipped via plane, especially with the way I've seen them handling baggage, and a dog out in California, midwest, or PNW would require a 3-day car journey. Neither is an ideal situation for bringing home a new puppy. It just illustrates the great divergence of the breed and the terrible interpretations of the standard.

[​IMG]
    What do you think of these dogs?

I'm curious, @JulieT what you would consider a good choice? I think both of your dogs are very lovely representations of the breed and Betsy's grandsire is beautiful. But, realistically I've not seen any American dogs with comparable traits to the labs you have in the UK. They either have nice heads and squat, flabby bodies or they are as awkward as my current boy, lol. As I've said, there are a good number of breeders who charge quite a lot for that 'English' lab look. I found two the other day who were asking $2000 for puppies because their dogs had 'modelled' for magazines and commercials. I will keep my research going, of course. But, I agree that it is quite sad to have limited choices. Can't trust us Yanks with anything!

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, indeed.

I can say they look like lovely dogs - but in the same way that I could say a Dalmatian, or a Spaniel, or a Beagle is a lovely dog. Or a cross breed is a lovely dog. I can't say they look anything like what I think a Labrador should look like, no. But if your choices are between the dogs you posted, then you have to choose the working line dogs.

I think the black one looks like it might have the best head.

3. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

@JulieT - The dogs above are from one of the kennels on my list and are descended from imported UK field-line dogs, which could explain the better head on the black one.

Your points are definitely noted. And, yes I would choose the working-lines if given the choice. You would be very shocked indeed if you came to the states and observed some of the labradors. Actually, now that I think on it, my friend's father has a lovely little 'English' lab who hunts with him. I will ask which breeder produced her. The only hang-up I have is that I want a longer-limbed dog who can cover more ground in the field because here we use our labs as flushers.