Looking for answers

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Skeahon19, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Skeahon19

Skeahon19 Registered Users

Good evening,

Out 11 year old Chocolate Lab died suddenly last night. Our Family is heartbroken. The most amazing dog I have ever owned and my kids adored him.

We had a nice day yesterday playing with the kids in the backyard, put the kids down for hed and was sitting in the living room with my wife watching football.

He was laying on the floor next to the couch and let out a short yelp , followed by an about 30 seizure and then he pooped and peed and that was it. He was gone. He was healthy and happy. No abnormal behavior. He is just gone.

Looking for some answers as to what could have possibly gone wrong

Tia

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

So sorry to hear this. Must have been a horrible experience and something that will take a while to come to terms with.
    I am no expert but it sounds neurological like a brain aneurism/stroke. I guess the only way to really know would be to have post-mortem but that would be expensive unless you have insurance and the outcome would still be the same.
    Be strong together and in a few weeks time you can remember all the fun times you had.

3. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Welcome to the forum, I'm so so sorry for your loss.

Sadly we've had a number of posters over the years lose their Labs in a very similar way. You can find their stories by putting "sudden death" in the search bar - I'll let you decide whether finding them would help you process what happened, or not.

One thing that always stands out for me though, is that there was nothing you could have or should have done to prevent it. Sudden death is shocking and heart breaking, but just that - sudden and unavoidable. Your boy had 11 wonderful years of being loved by a whole human family, and he was very lucky.

I hope all the memories you have together bring you comfort. Best wishes, Sarah.

4. Deboragh

Deboragh Registered Users

So sorry for your loss

Our dog Cleo passed the same way just after her 15 th birthday. I assume it was a massive stroke. While it was very traumatic, she didn't suffer long and we didn't have to make a decision about having her put down, as many of our dog friends did.
    It doesn't sound as though you did anything wrong or that your dog's death could have been prevented. It's so hard that their lives are so brief.