Looking for some advice on nail clipping

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by mummyp85, Oct 18, 2019.

1. mummyp85

mummyp85 Registered Users

Hero is a very lively working line lab. Until recently we've never had any issues with grooming or nail care. But this last couple of weeks he has started attacking the brushes when I get them out and his front paws badly need something doing with his claws. His back paws are fine, they smooth down on roads and pathways, but he scratches on hard surfaces with his front paws almost like when a cat sharpens their claws and his front claws now really hurt if he catches us with them accidentally. The vets have checked there is nothing wrong and he has never objected to having them trimmed and smoothed off previously but on monthly visit to vets last week he would not let anyone see to them. She suggested trying Emery board which we have but that isn't working. He hasn't had any bad experiences with grooming but will not stay still. We have tried calming techniques, using quiet times and also his clicker and a treats system but he will not accept it. Trouble is with his claws now getting so sharp I am concerned he may not only hurt one of the children but also himself. He has already caught his own leg on them and caused a small cut. Strangely although he won't go for the grooming at the moment he loves having his teeth cleaned...strange pup. I try having a routine with him and sticking to same time of day when he is quieter and more relaxed and OH to help but everything we have tried, he just wants to bite us and the equipment. I usually sit on the floor with him and let him see the brushes, etc well before trying so he knows they are there. Have tried to make it a special time for him with me (mum) but have run out of ideas now.

2. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

If he has suddenly changed it might be because he is trying to hide something from you.
    Luna used to let us check her teeth all the time until she broke one of her canines, it took us a couple of days to realise (we thought she was just in a sulk!) then had to have it removed.

Now she pulls away from us and runs to hide thinking she will need to go through it again because her teeth are still hurting from teething.

We now have a quick look daily to make sure everything is okay and to try desensitise her. Once we are finished we make a huge fuss of her and give her a high value treat.

Might be worth having a look a couple of times but not do anything and have nothing out so that he can see its okay?

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

I have exactly the same problem with cutting Toby’s nails but it has been a problem since the second visit to the vet. The first time she cut them it was fine but the second time she suggested I left the room because he was struggling so much. I wish I hadn’t. He came out with two bleeding nails and ever since has tried to bite the nail clippers if I go anywhere near him with them. He also didn’t like having his feet touched for a long time but I have managed to desensitise him to that.
    Because of his recent problems I have been able to have them cut under anaesthetic and try to keep them shorter by doing some pavement walks.
    Sorry not much help really.