Loose poo

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deano82, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Re: Loose poo

He came from a show kennel

2. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

There's an article here of Pippa's on how much dogs should / shouldn't weigh http://www.thelabradorsite.com/?p=4629

As a show Lab, Nero is going to be bigger... Brew was nowhere near that at that age, but then, she is a little girlie from working stock! I wouldn't get too hung up about the number on the scale; if he looks like he is growing well but not getting chubby, I'd be happy with that. I worry more about Brew gaining weight too fast than being too slender, because of the potential implications that can have for joint damage... If your vet was happy, I would be too. :D
    Clare

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Deano82 link=topic=3799.msg43479#msg43479 date=1388342152]
    Thanks all. Quick question Nero was weighed today at a little over 10kg. He is 12 weeks old. Is this a decent weight?
    [/quote]

Charlie is 100% show - no working line in him whatsoever. He was 9kg at 10 weeks and 11kg at 12 weeks. That was the point at which I realised these show boys are chunky an put on weight drinking water. Keep his weight down, and feed to his body condition - not what you think a show lab "should" look like.

4. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

I think he wll be a big lad. His father is a very big dog and he was the biggest of the pups

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Diarrhoea is common in puppies and it sounds like there are a number of things tha could be causing this for your pup:
    1. Overfeeding - a lot of people don't realise that too much food can give your dog the runs. If the poo starts off solid and ends with a soft/running bit on top that's a general sign that you are over feeding. Try cutting each meal down by just a handful of biscuits and see how you get on. Also remember if you are giving lots of treats for training then you should cut down your pups meal size too.
    2. Food - Beta puppy gave my pup soft poo (as I've seen a couple of other people say here too). I weaned her over to pets at home wainwrights and that did the trick. She also eats Arden Grange which has been fantastic for her. Her stools are way firmer and she only does two poos a day - a sign that the food is agreeing with her very well!
    3. Treats - working in rescue kennels for 7 years has given me invaluable knowledge of diet. One thing that I found, almost without exception, gave the dogs diarrhoea was pedigree markies. I don't know what it was about them but like I said, I can't think of a dog who I didn't give them that didn't get the runs. Just something for you to consider.
    I used my pups normal biscuit food as treats, being a lab she'll eat anything! Saves expense on treats, she would gobble it down the same way she did a schmacko! Just remember to take it out of the daily food allowance.

It's good you got your pup checked by a vet so soon. I've heard stories of people who's dogs have had an upset tummy for weeks on end before they decide they should probably take it to a vet, and by then the poor thing is underweight and quite ill!
    Hopefully the wormer and the paste (pro-kolin or canikur maybe?) will do the trick. Just remember to introduce your pup back to the normal diet slowly. And if you do decide to try a different food, that needs to be changed over gradually too - ideally it should take 10-14days if done properly.

Wishing your pup a speedy recovery!

6. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Many thanks for your advice. It has been 3 days since feeding chicken and rice and the canikur pro paste but no improvement yet. Poos are still runny and the blood is still there. How long until I should see an improvement?

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Deano82 link=topic=3799.msg43767#msg43767 date=1388490171]
    Many thanks for your advice. It has been 3 days since feeding chicken and rice and the canikur pro paste but no improvement yet. Poos are still runny and the blood is still there. How long until I should see an improvement?
    [/quote]

So sorry to hear your pup still isn't well. Maybe give the vet a call and ask whether you should pop back? My boy had an upset tummy and awful runny poo a little while ago, and when there was no improvement, I called the vet and asked when it should start getting better? He then said to go in a pick up antibioctics since it wasn't better (he thought it was a bug, since the chicken and rice and paste hadn't cleared it up). But he hadn't told me that at the time he'd seen Charlie. ::) Not that it is necessarily a bug in your boy's case, but the treatment might need to change if he isn't responding to what you are doing now.

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

If Nero still has an upset stomach after 3 days of chicken and rice and diarrhea paste I'd take him back to the vet especially as there is still blood. If it was something he'd eaten that probably should've cleared up by now. He might need some antibiotics. Even if originally it was something he'd eaten the fact that there was blood could mean an infection could occur.

My old lab had colitis all his life. When something triggered it even if it was stress he had to have antibiotics because there would always be blood.

I hope he's better soon

Jen

9. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Definately give the Vet a call - the canikur usually starts to work in about 48 hours. They may put up a course of antibiotics to help clear it up or request a faeces sample to rule out anything else.

Make sure your pup is not getting anything else to eat while his tummy is settling down - no treats or biscuits. If you need to use food for training use the allowance of chicken and rice you are feeding. Also no bones or chews. You need to make sure the pup is not eating anything except the plain food whilst his tummy sorts itself out otherwise the diarrhoea will never clear up.

10. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Thanks. He is due to go back to the vet for a check up on Thursday anyway. He is fine in himself though..still running around like a nutter and chewing everything!

11. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

UPDATE

Woke this morning and Nero went outside for his poo. It was looking more solid than it has been. Not 100% yet but it wasn't the usual runny poo he has been having....and also no blood :) There was still quite a bit of mucus though (sorry for the not so nice description!)

Off to the vet tomorrow for his checkup. Hopefully things will keep getting better

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Great news, let's hope it continues :) hopefully the mucus will just be residue of whatever bug he has had ;)
    Big licks from Harley (21 weeks)

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Do you think it might be worth taking a stool sample with you tomorrow?

14. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Yes i will take one. We took one on the weekend but the vet said it wasn't needed. No harm in taking one again though just in case

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

When I had a similar problem with Charlie, Angela said (based on extensive Dexter tummy and poo problems) vets can get a poo sample with a swab up the bum! Well, she actually probably said it much more elegantly than that, but you get what I mean.

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3799.msg43973#msg43973 date=1388598152]
    Well, she actually probably said it much more elegantly than that, but you get what I mean.
    [/quote]
    I bet I didn't Julie ;D but yes my vet always seems to get what she needs when she needs it ::) and she is delighted when I produce photos of Dexter's various motions for her too! ;D
    Sorry just come back on to modify and say I'm glad that Nero seems to be getting better x

17. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Another poo update: he only done a small poo this morning but it was looking more solid

Vet visit later so will keep you updated

18. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

That is promising news .... you must feel relieved

19. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Just got back from the vets. He said we can now start moving nero back onto normal dry food.

We were relieved until the vet checked his ears and found ear mites! Got ear drops to give him now....not having much luck at the moment:(

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Good news about his food :). Not so good about the mites :(