Lost my best friend

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Brian bobo, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Brian bobo

Brian bobo Registered Users

My 12 and 3/4 yr old black lab had to be euthanised on tuesday. He/we has be suffering for 2 yr with problems with his back end. He didnt have much feeling at times. This meant he would drag his feet and sometimes walk on his knuckles. He would sometimes fall and poo would drop out him accidently most days. He poo'd in house most days some days 4 or 5 times and would poo almost nightly in his sleep. We could manage this but he also had dementia type problems and was afraid of everything. Dishwasher, kids toys, something in back garden but mostly the wind. He would panic at night and dig in corners or at doors for no apparent reason and wake house.It got to the stage he refused to go out unless he was being walked. It got too much. If we made him go out for a pee he would instantly batter my back door in sheer panic. Final straw came when he started to be terrified in house if he was alone and we would come home to pools of drool and a severly stressed dog. We reluctently had him put to sleep. I brought him home and buried him in my garden which was a very hard thing to do. I am tottally gutted and have went out as usual 3 nights walking him just with a lead and no dog. I feel terrible guilt that i never allowed him to fulfill his life span and feel i may have been too soon. Although i know i wasnt. I just want it to be known i will never forget my best friend and love him more than i even knew. We took him everywhere. He had more holidays than some people and he was a great dog and he was amazing with my kids. Cherrish your dog. Cuddle them because they wont be here forever :(

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So sorry that you have lost your beautiful dog. Reading your story, I really think that you did the right thing for your boy. It does not sound to me at all like you cut things short - instead I would say you did the most kind and loving thing you could. Even though it was so hard for you, you still put your dog first.

It is normal to feel guilty. That's just what our brains do to us at times like these... Those feelings do not at all mean that you did the wrong thing. They just mean that you loved your boy more than anything, that's all.

What was his name? Would love to hear more about him in his younger days :)

Debs and MF like this.
  3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I see from your avatar that his name was Bobo. He looks like a really handsome boy.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So sorry to hear this.

You really did the best you possibly could for him. He was in great pain - mental pain, bless him xx

:hug:

5. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

So sorry to hear that you've lost your dear old boy.

If its any comfort, from what you describe, you made absolutely the right decision. He clearly had a lovely life and was deeply loved. What Oberon says is right, feeling like you do is part of the grieving process.

Was almost 2 years after we lost our dear old boy before we could think of another lab - now we have Molly :heart:

6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Bobo has had the best of care from you, and you did the greatest thing for him, you ended his suffering - that is a huge thing we can do for our pets. He will remain in your heart forever, and as the pain of losing him eases, you will be blessed with wonderful memories of your dear boy.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

So sorry to hear this.
    It must be difficult for you right now.
    I'm not sure if the expression "better a day too early than a day too late" helps at all?
    It sounds like you were doing what you had to do and your boy would have been grateful.
    Don't feel bad.
    I agree with Rachael.....we would love to hear more about your boy if you felt able x
    Jac

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm so very sorry to hear about you losing Bobo. It must be so incredibly painful. It really does sound like you did the right thing.

I hope the pain eases in time, and is replaced by memories of happier times with Bobo.

We'd love to see pictures if you have any.

9. Brian bobo

Boab as he was more known wasnt one of those angel labradors. Ha ha far from it. He had a mind of his own. First 2 years of his life he destroyed my home. Literally :). He had selective hearing at times and never really done anything he truely didnt want to :). BUT he was the most loyal ,gentle and great fun dog and was always tgere for us.I could take him out even just 2 or 3 yr ago and walk him 6,7or 8 mile on a beach return and he would be ready to go again. He loved to sit at your feet or on top of me if he was allowed and never once did he growl or shown one sign of aggression.he was kind of dog who would act all tuff and bark at a dog then run with his tail tucked in if dog chased him. My little boy used to grab is tail and kinda water ski around the living room yet boab said nothing. He was a gentle giant. My whole extended family loved him and even my neighbour is devastated. House feels incredibly empty but im glad ibrought him home to lay him to rest so he is always there and i know he was treated with respect.

10. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I'm so sorry that such a sad event brought you to the forum but, welcome.

It was such a brave and kind thing to make the decision to let Bobo go.

We'd love to hear more about the happier times when you feel up to it.

Edited to say - oops, typed at the same time :)

11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So very sorry.

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am so very sorry, it is painful to lose a beloved dog who you have spent such a long and close time with. Boab sound a really super dog and you were both lucky to have shared so much together. I think you made the right decision to let him go if he felt so frightened.

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Boab sounds like such a lovely boy - full of fun and love for your family. The best kind of dog, Labradors.

14. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

So sorry to hear about your lovely lad. You made an extremely brave decision.

Hopefully soon you'll be able to remember only good times :)

15. MF

MF Registered Users

I am so sorry for your loss. Just devastating. Our best friends are with us for all too short a time. But what a wonderful life you gave Boab. And now he is in peace.

16. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Very sorry to hear about your lovely lab. It was the kindest thing you could do for him, even though it's heart-breaking for his humans.

17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Very sorry for you loss. Thank you though for visiting our forum, and sharing a little of Bobo with us. He sounds like a wonderful (and very typical) black lab. I think you were incredibly brave, and right to make the decision for your friend when you did, I know it feels raw right now. My heart goes out to you x

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So sorry to hear about your loss. My old lab, Bones, was also nicknamed Bobo. *Sigh* Big hugs to you.

19. Brian bobo

Thanks for replies everyone. Someone asked for a photo. Im not sure how to do that but i changed my avatar. One kids messing with him as usual hanging a bag on him :)

edzbird likes this.
  20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a character and an amazing friend. I too think you done the right thing for him. He obviously meant a lot to a lot of people. Thinking of you at this difficult time