Lost my best friend

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Bob S, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Bob S

Bob S Registered Users

Hi, I’m new. First time in my life on any forum. I love dogs. Especially my labs. Rebel, 9 1/2 y/o yellow died in surgery earlier this summer during attempted resection of a liver hemangiosarcoma. He never left my side, retrieved hundreds of ducks and geese all over AR, and he spent countless hours in the bow of my kayak every summer. I have 2 others in my pack, Winston-a beast of a Bassett, and Surfer- greyhound rescued after 3 years racing at track. Quite a mix, but cut em loose in woods hiking, and it was magic. I’m really having a hard time without Reb. He was the steady leader and so willing to please. He would have followed me into hell. I have his ashes and those of my prior lab. I plan to be scattered with them someday. Crazy, right? I’m the dog guy in my family, so I guess I thought I’d try this to feel some better.

NancyB likes this.
  2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum :)

I don't think that sounds crazy at all, it's a wonderful thought. I'm sorry you're struggling with the loss of Rebel - there's no 'right' way to grieve, or amount of time to spend grieving. But I hope Winston and Surfer, and all the memories of the experiences you shared with Rebel, bring you comfort.

Sarah