Loud snoring puppie at night....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Bettie, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

I don't care if he snores in the daytime. And his snoring only comes when he is very very contented.

But last night was almost as bad as the night before. I was woken up by his very loud snoring at 3:40 AM, only to have my spouse start in with a duet with him. My spouse says I snore loudly too, except that he can sleep right through anything, and I cannot.

I have discovered if I kick the dog"s(not my spouse) crate gently he stops. If I stand next to it for about 30 minutes, and kick it gently every time he snores, he finally finds a position where he doesn't snore. I'm thinking of making a rope that I can pull that will gently drop something on the top of the crate, so I don't have to get out of bed. It makes a rattling noise that causes him to change position.

With my spouse, I just pull off the covers and she changes to a position where he doesn't snore---cant do that with the dog.

The dog sleeps in a crate in our bedroom, and will always do that, except that eventually it will be a bed(but not our bed), not a crate.

BTW, he probably won't grow out of it, since our 14 year old Lab also snored but not quite as bad as the 14 week old puppy.

Any suggestions to make him stop snoring at night.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just thinking out loud really, but maybe when his snout grows longer and eases breathing , he wont make such a row ! My little rescue girl Nelly is a little on the brachycephalic side , and makes the most incredible noise, for one so tiny !

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  3. SimoneB

SimoneB Registered Users

My 16 week old snores sometimes, too, and when he breathes in through his nose he snorts. I wonder whether he has an extra skin flap in there or something and hope that it will sort itself out as he grows. Is this a common thing in Labs?

4. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

I wish you were right, about the growth, but my full grown Lab did the same thing, but he moved less when sleeping so changing his position for him usually solved it.

The sound comes from his throat, not his nose. Its only amplified by his nose. You can feel it. Its like he's spent too much time with cats and is DOING THE LABRADOR PURR.

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco snores often (on our bed at night). I find it kind of cute. Unlike when OH snores - I could strangle him. Sometimes I'll give Coco a nudge if he's going on though.

Kelsey&Axel, snowbunny and MF like this.
  6. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I love the snuffles, grunts and snores of my girl, but she doesn't sleep in my room and maybe they're not as loud as your boys'.
    I snore like a trooper, according to my son, but I sleep alone so no-one needs be bothered!

selina27 likes this.
  7. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

Update. After the night that I stood by his crate for 30 minutes and kicked it every time he got loud with his snoring until he found an non-snoring position, he has not snored loudly. We'll see what happens tonite, as we got him a real mattress rather than the blue towel he has been sleeping on for the past 6 weeks. I'M HOPING I CAN GET AN EXTRA 1/2 HOUR OUT OF HIM before I have to wake up and do the potty/breakfast routine.

8. Chaunceysmom

Chaunceysmom Registered Users

Awww, poor little guy, my parents had a beagle who snored very loud too, and while sleeping overnight one time, I got the joy(not) to experience it for myself. Omg, bless you, that must be awful for you, ever thought of earplugs? lol

Fingers crossed the new mattress works for you guys :)

9. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Odie was like this too :) he snorted all the time too, just walking around he would snort. I used to call him ‘my little piglet’ and no he wasn’t chubby :D

kateincornwall likes this.
  10. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Axel sleeps on our bed and has his head up on my pillow and he snores in my ear, I personally love it :) but like others have said, if OH snores I punch him to make him roll over :cwl:

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I have Nora the Snorer (aka Poppy) on the bed next to me right now... Merlin is gently snuffling... OH snored in the night...

I should rent them out as a variety show.

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  12. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

We've discovered that he snores until he gets into deep sleep. The new mattress seems to get him into deep sleep faster, so we had another night without snoring, and also he slept 30 minutes longer 10:30 to 6:45. And so my schedule is now his schedule, and I'm no longer a night owl after a lot of years. 7 is good for me since its easier to get into my morning devotions at 7:15.

13. Chaunceysmom

Woo hoo!! Congratulations!! If it’s not too much trouble, could you please PM me the name of it so I could buy the same one if I find mine to be a loud snorer too please :)

14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

ooh there's nothing quite like a comfy bed :)

15. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

No need to PM, product recommendations by forum members are allowed in public - we even have a section for this. We just don't allow spammers and people who join with the single purpose of promoting something :)

Chaunceysmom likes this.
  16. Chaunceysmom

Cool, Thanks! I wasn’t sure so I played it safe. I’ve already checked the best things to buy for them and have them listed in my shopping cart at amazon and let’s just say that list is very long, lol. Guess who’s going to need a second job before long to pay for all of them, lol:p. I can’t help it, I only want the best for him. I’ll check at that section to see what else I’ll add :)

snowbunny likes this.
  17. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

I can't help anyhow. There is a store nearby that buys in buyouts and sells the items way cheaper. I took off the tags and tossed them in the wood stove. But probably the reason why they are in the store is because the company went out of business.

Chaunceysmom likes this.
  18. Chaunceysmom

It’s ok, thanks anyway , I was just curious :). The important thing is it helped your dog from snoring and I hope it continues working it’s magic and you can get some sleep. :)

19. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

I have a recording somewhere of DH, Harley and our oldest cat ALL snoring on the bed. I couldn't sleep with the caucophony. Harley is mostly a gentle snorer but man, oh man she is a dreamer.Even if she is sleeping in DH's arms with her head on his shoulder she dreams away.

Karen and selina27 like this.
  20. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

Worked last night too. Clearly he is way more comfortable that the hard floor of the crate, and he doesn't chew it.

Chaunceysmom likes this.