Lovely Chocolate Charlie

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Dexter, Feb 23, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Lovely Chocolate Charlie

Thanks so much....

The op didn't go ahead. :(

When the pre-op tests were done, Charlie's blood pressure was found to be a bit low. So this is now being checked out to see whether there is something going on that needs extra precautions, and we'll decide what to do later.....I'll have him back with me tonight though.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Bit of an alarming time last night - OH took Charlie for his last stroll round the block and ended up carrying him home. :( He suddenly stopped being able to walk, and was holding his leg up in the air, not able to straighten his knee. Never seen this before.

After a bit of a rest, he returned to being able to place weight on the leg. Gave him tramadol....poor boy. Emailed the vet, who said there wasn't much point in looking at him - we know what's wrong, and I already have tramadol.

He is ok today, super excited from being on lead in the house, and just a couple of short walks, where he pulled on his lead then whined when that meant he didn't get to move forwards (sigh....I really thought we'd seen the end of stuff like this, but I guess he is super frustrated), so have booked him in for some hydro, which I hope helps.

The op is rescheduled for the 19th May - we had to wait for appointments for some extra tests.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Fingers crossed for the next three weeks!! :)

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh how frustrating! Poor Charlie and poor you...hope the next few weeks aren't too uncomfortable for Charlie

5. Mylestogo

Mylestogo Registered Users

Oh I'm catching up on all that has happened with Charlie. So sorry to hear about the other leg. All that you have documented here regarding his surgery, training and recovery is no doubt very helpful to others as well. So thank you for the time you take to share even though you have your hands full. Wishing you and Charlie all the best in this next surgery.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh - you must have been frantic!
    Glad he is better this morning.
    I bet 3 weeks will seem like 3 months :(

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Oh poor Charlie, and poor you. His short walks must have been so frustrating for you, and Charlie. Hopefully his knee isn't hurting him too much now. 19th May seems a long time off but the days will quickly go.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My long suffering and very lovely vet called me when he finished his work (what else does he want to do, I ask, at the end of a long day but call me - he should be used to it by now, poor man) to go over what happened last night. He thinks its most likely that Charlie stepped off a kerb or something funny on his unstable knee and gave it a good pull. Like a twisted ankle, it hurts like mad but only for a bit. That's why Charlie is fine today.

So Charlie can come off the Tramadol and go back to his 3 x 20 minutes walks. Plus he gets his hydro fun, and got two extra sympathy kongs today - so he reckons he's quids in. ::)

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=4619.msg159856#msg159856 date=1430324705]
    My long suffering and very lovely vet called me when he finished his work (what else does he want to do, I ask, at the end of a long day but call me - he should be used to it by now, poor man) to go over what happened last night. He thinks its most likely that Charlie stepped off a kerb or something funny on his unstable knee and gave it a good pull. Like a twisted ankle, it hurts like mad but only for a bit. That's why Charlie is fine today.

So Charlie can come off the Tramadol and go back to his 3 x 20 minutes walks. Plus he gets his hydro fun, and got two extra sympathy kongs today - so he reckons he's quids in. ::)
    [/quote]

Good!

And when the pope is looking for sainthood nominations I shall mention your vet ;)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=4619.msg159858#msg159858 date=1430324809]
    And when the pope is looking for sainthood nominations I shall mention your vet ;)
    [/quote]

I reckon I better send him a very nice bottle - or 10 - of something when this leg is done....I do think he probably is a saint..... :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D ;D ;D

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Pleased to hear that the vet doesn't think yesterday evenings episode was anything to worry about and that Charlie is feeling fine.

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Bless him.

Many (hugs) for both of you xx

13. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Poor Charlie - and poor you. Hope the hydrotherapy helps keep his energy levels under control.

14. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Poor Charlie - but yesterday's episode doesn't sound too worrying. I hope he doesn't have any more blips before the 19th.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, thanks everyone - he is back to being his normal self today.

He is getting out for 3 walks (although short and on lead), and having clicker training sessions, and lots of hunt kibble round the house, stacks of low cal kongs and (much more limited) chews, plus lots of attention, games and company. So, I reckon he is doing ok, all in.....

16. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

If Charlie is getting all these goodies, I reckon you are due a few nice glasses of something

17. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Glad he is back to normal :)

Human treats definitely also required!

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh dear sorry you're having these worrying episodes. Hope it's smooth sailing from here. I'm sure Charlie isn't suffering too much ::)

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, thanks. Mustn't moan though, it's not long and Charlie is ok. He is a bit bored and wondering what's happened to all his outings, but I guess he'll survive.

Trying to think of safe exercises to do around frustration management to make the best of the time, really. I'd like to try to at least not go backwards too much, although I fear I will, obviously. I might try sitting in the park for a bit this afternoon, but it's a bit tricky to know what's fair to ask him to do when he is bursting with energy and desperate for a run.

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm glad Charlie is better today. I'm sure he is very frustrated as he is used to lovely long walks and training sessions with you. Hope your trip to the park goes well today x