Lumpy's Log

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Lumpy, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

The heel work is improving thanks to some advice in another post.

Lumpy manages to sit and stay quite well with minor distractions. I am confident to walk about 10 metres away after the "stay" command, but I am walking backwards watching him. I turned my back on him and walked away twice at home and he followed me during 2 different training sessions.

I am finding the recall difficult as Lumpy tends to stay around when he thinks I have treats with me.

Retrieves are good, however if I squat down to receive the ball as Lumpy approaches he drops it in front of me, sometimes up to a metre away. If I stand he generally holds it.

Good treats are the answer. I just need an answer when I don't have treats.

Stay tuned.

Stuart

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Lumpy's Log

Well done to you both ;)

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

We really need a plan & a goal. Any suggestions?

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Lumpy link=topic=9751.msg141241#msg141241 date=1422910120]
    We really need a plan & a goal. Any suggestions?
    [/quote]

How old is Lumpy?

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Could you get someone to go on a walk with you and recall him between you - both of you have treats and reward when he comes to one of you. Then put the treats away and amble around. When he is busy sniffing etc recall him and reward.

Do you do any off lead heel training? I find this really useful when I want Harley close to me on a walk.

How about hiding the ball and getting Lumpy to find it? Or hiding treats and send him to find them?

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

lumpy is 5 months old.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

8. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

Naya,

I've tried most of that stuff. Lumpy gets an off lead walk in the park or swim in the morass every day. We're currently working on heel & recall with re-inforcemnat on "stay".

Recall is difficult because he rarely leaves my side when he knows I have treats.

He's been to the clay target range once & rabbit hunting twice. He loves it, but he was over excited to see all the new people & other dogs at the range. My arms are a lot longer now. All my dog loving mates have different views on how to train dogs so it's hard to get consistency even though they have the best intentions.

My mother in law has owned poodles & thinks every dog should sit on her lap. She tries to get him to jump up on her despite me growling at her. He'll knock her over one day.

On a retrieve Lumpy needs to see the ball, otherwise he loses it. I'll try hiding treats.

I'm trying to get my wife involved in training at the park, but she's recovering from chemo & has a lot of lethargic days. It's a short walk & she's been a few times. She won't drive to the morass because she's petrified of snakes.

Unfortunately I find it hard to get to the dog club here due to work & other commitments.

Stuart.

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

10. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

Lumpy's heel work is going well everywhere but the back yard., he's still wandering off when I give a treat, "That task us over, so I'll do what I like until I'm given something else".

He's loving the water & retrieving well there.

I bought a black Kong frisbee & he loves retrieving that. He gets to the drop quickly & I'm hoping he'll start catching it. It's probably not a good thing for steadiness.

I am wondering if his mouth is a bit sore with his new teeth still growing. He drops the tennis ball during returns & is keen to drop everything on arrival at my feet. I know some trainers say you should stop the retrieving at about 6 months due to soreness caused by growing teeth.

I'm working on proofing the stay & heel & I will be getting some assistance on the recall.

Is there anything else I can start work on now? Lumpy is almost 6 months old.

11. liosa

liosa Registered Users

can you try some trick training with lumpy? In between doing the usual sit, down, stay ect i have been teaching my 5 mth old how to shake hands, hi 5, spin in a circle and we are now working on roll over. i think the "fun" stuff helps us bond :) ( plus its much more fun for me)

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

We're off to the clay target range in 12 hours. Any tips to stop my arms from being stretched?

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Lots of rewards for calm behaviour :) also, if he looks at you without you asking, reward his attention on you. Have fun

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

Thanks for the tip. I will only need a very small bag of treats. LOL

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Lumpy link=topic=9751.msg142134#msg142134 date=1423253778]
    Lumpy's heel work is going well everywhere but the back yard., he's still wandering off when I give a treat, "That task us over, so I'll do what I like until I'm given something else".
    [/quote]

This is quite normal, and logical for him. He is walking at heel because it's a rewarding thing to do, no other reason. So once he has his reward, that's it.

You can a) ask for more before he gets his treat. One step, then two steps, then three...or b) you can feed him a stream of treats.

I'd feed a stream of treats, so making walking alongside you the best thing ever. One step, feed 3 or 4 treats as you walk along. He'll soon hang around....then reduce the treats a bit, but don't be in a hurry to do so.

This is assuming you are not using a clicker....

16. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

Thanks Julie,

I'll give it a try. I've ordered a book on clicker training so until it arrives I'll try option b.

Stuart.

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

Lumpy was very good at the range today. Only a little bit of pulling on the lead.

He behaved exceptionally when tied up.

It was difficult to reward him with treats or pats while safely carrying my shotgun. But I'll work on a plan for that.

18. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Stuart, this is just my opinion but I feel Lumpy is way too young to accompany you to a clay shooting range and watch and listen while he is tied up.

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

Heidrun,

The range is set up in the bush with a number of stations so we walk between them.

He is only tied up when I am shooting. I am within his view at all times, unless I'm in the club rooms.

He doesn't get upset & the shots don't bother him.

I would not take him. To a skeet or down the line range at this age.

Stuart.

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

Lumpy caught the frisbee twice this evening. So proud.