Lumpy's Log

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Lumpy, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

Re: Lumpy's Log

Thanks to some good advice from here we're back on track.

I have lowered my expectations & I'm taking baby steps on degrees of difficulty.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

I've been on a trip to the USA for the past month. I left Lumpy with an old work colleague who runs boarding kennels and shows curly retrievers. She did a great job looking after him... Almost too good a job.

We're back at it again and picked up where we left off. Same problems and he remembers everything I have taught him.

It looks like the forum has been updated & I've lost my profile pic.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Welcome back and I see you have managed to upload a profile picture. Yes, we've had a few changes around here and we're all getting used to it and settling in a bit.

So, do you have a plan for your training going forward?

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Registered Users

No real plans.

Having said that...

I would like to train Lumpy to obey commands when he is not close to me.

When I say "sit" comes and sits in front of me.

I have taught him to play dead. That was a lot of fun.

The recall is getting better, but still needs a lot of work to make it more immediate. Its totally ueseless when he sees another dog.

Ultimately I would like him to retrieve ducks when I'm hunting. I haven't tried that yet, but he won't retrieve rabbits so I need to learn a good training technique for that.

I just don't know how to plan for that so any assistance would be great.

Sit, stay, down, bang (dead), stand, come and heel are all working well. He'll fetch anything I throw. I mostly use a kong frisbee, but I use a frisbee with led lights in it in the dark (just in case he doesn't retrieve it and I lose it) and a floating "bumper" in the water.

Stuart.