Lure coursing for puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Derek Napoli, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Derek Napoli

Derek Napoli Registered Users

Greetings. I have a 4 month old lab who weighs 35lbs.
    Right he goes for 2-3 walks a day roughly around a total of 2-3 miles

We also use a flirt pole that he loves. I know his growth plates do not close until 18-24 months.

if I got a lure coursing home kit (SwiftPaws) which has a controller to keep the speed slow and I used it in a straight line, would that be safe enough to not injure him?

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Derek, welcome to the forum :)

I'm afraid this isn't an area I can claim to know lots about, but I have a whippet, and in the sighthound community most people seem to advise against lure coursing until a pup is 18 months old.

3. amelbeach

amelbeach Registered Users

You have to apply for a PAL number through the AKC. To do that, you have to fill out the application, make the photos, and pay them. Then you wait. Once you get your PAL number, that's the number you use to fill in your entry forms (premium listings) then send those in or email or PayPal -- however your local AKC-sanctioned club does entries.

Let your dog run twice a week. Just in general for fun and health, but try to work a longer line into your flirt pole. My husband and I use an RC truck, but that's something of an investment.

It's not true that your dogs needs no conditioning. Having conditioning prevents muscle and joint injuries like sprung, knocked-up, or dislocated toes, ligament/tendon injuries, etc.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf