Maggie - 8 years old. Awaiting vet results

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by KAREN FENTON, Jul 27, 2017.

1. KAREN FENTON

KAREN FENTON Registered Users

Im new to the forum, but have received devastating news that my lovely girl may have had a seizure. We have just had blood tests done to check that it is nothing else causing the issue, but she has got the wobbles, knocks into walls, very unsteady on her feet and off her food.

Since this only happened in the last few days, I am reeling with anxiety for her...has anybody been in the same situation and what has been the prognosis.....

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hello, and welcome to the forum . I am so sorry to read your news , I have owned two dogs who have had seizures , both for different reasons . It is a worrying time for sure , but trust in your Vet to come up with answers , as there are numerous possible causes . There is help , many dogs can live a fairly normal life on medication , its mainly a case of being very vigilant and never forgetting a dose of the usual drugs . I wish you all the best , and hope the outcome is good for your dear girl x

3. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Karen. One of our dogs had seizures and I know how stressful it is waiting to find out the cause. Once the problem was identified Gypsy went on to lead a normal life with simple medication. Hopefully the vet will find the cause quickly.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Karen, sorry to hear your news. It is terrifying when your dog first has seizures, and not knowing the underlying cause is dreadful. Once your vet has the results back, there will be a clearer picture - but often the cause, or trigger, cannot be identified. My dog has had several seizures, but since they are widely spaced with several months between episodes, she is not on medication. In between episodes she appears completely normal. Hopefully the vet will be able to pinpoint what is causing Maggie's seizures, and you can take steps accordingly. Please let us know how you get on.

5. Bearhaug

Bearhaug Registered Users

Hi Karen, so sorry to hear about your fur baby. I know quite a few dogs that had epilepsy and they are put on meds and seem to be ok. Their owners say just seeing the seizure itself is emotionally hard but once they come out of it, they ate back to normal. I hope you find an answer and my thoughts are with you.

6. KAREN FENTON

KAREN FENTON Registered Users

Thanks for your answers everyone, Maggie goes for her results tonight, although she hasn't eaten for 4 days and has "wobble syndrome".
    She is still wagging her tail, but refusing every bit of food offered.....

I think the only way to find out what is the problem is an MRI scan - Maggie is not insured so you can all see the dilemma I am facing.......

She is only 7, and I have never experienced this issue with my previous fur babies, one who lived until he was 17...so its all new to me, I am aware that it isnt unusual..just sad.
    Will keep you all informed.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You poor thing, what a dreadful worry...

Really hope you can get some helpful info tonight and a way forward.

8. MF

MF Registered Users

So sorry to hear. When my boy first had a seizure, our vet said to treat first before doing an MRI - if treatment worked, then all good. He said anyway, if an MRI picked up anything, there wouldn't be anything we could do surgically in any case. Thankfully the meds worked.

Ask your vet what the next step would be if an MRI picked up anything. If the costs of the next step are too high, then doing an expensive MRI might not be worth it. It's so distressing worrying about costs, but if you must be concerned about costs, you need to be informed of what the costly tests will provide.

I do hope your girl recovers quickly. Is she on a glucose drip if she's refusing food? How is she getting in energy? Do you suspect poisoning could've caused her seizure? Thinking of you.

9. Granca

Granca Registered Users

I hope you had a useful consultation with the vet this evening and now have a strategy for dealing with Maggie.

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hope the vet managed to shed some light on what's going on. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.