MAJOR RANT ALERT

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JenBainbridge, Oct 12, 2017.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

So my OH's shifts changed a few months ago. He was on 4 days on, 4 days off rotation - 2 day shifts, 2 night shifts. This meant that on his day shifts Stanley went to daycare. So he pretty much went 2 days every week.

His shifts have now changed to Monday - Friday and either 7am-3pm. 3pm - 11pm or 11pm - 7am. This has meant a massive reduction in his daycare bill because he's fine to be left for most of those shifts. When OH leaves at 2.45pm I'm in by 5.30pm, nightshifts I'm in, take him for a walk on the morning and he chills in bed or on the couch with OH who takes him for another walk in the afternoon.

I still sent him to daycare on the 7-3, more as a treat to be honest because he likes going. But a walk would be sufficient as I walk him on a morning, leave at about 8.45 then people visit him between 11-12 and he gets another walk then OH is home by3.15.

He's only been twice in the past month because we also had a weeks annual leave this month. Booked him in - she said they were missing him. I dropped him off yesterday - no issues. Picked him up - no issues. This morning, dropped him off asked if everything was ok yesterday, just being polite really. She said yes and I said oh he's been a bit whiny with OH when I'm not there apparently so just wanted to make sure he's still settling here..

I got the biggest rant EVER about how he's destroying her kitchen and she doesn't trust him. It literally came from nowhere. I knew he'd eaten the pigs ears a little while ago now - but that was it. Apparently he's eaten the handle on her drawers to get to the treats - I asked if she'd seen him and she said no but it was definitely him because who else would it be. And he's damaged her camera she watches them on apparently.

I said he doesn't destroy anything generally at home - definitely not furniture, he's never gone for a remote or anything like that. She said yesterday she was watching him on the camera when she nipped out and could see him pacing so she rushed back and put him in the hall as he was definitely up to no good. I asked if he'd done anything but she said no but she doesn't trust him.

THEN!!!!!! She said she thinks the reason is because he's not coming enough anymore and he's out of routine - every 3 weeks is unsettling him. All of a sudden the penny dropped.. and I think basically she wants more money out of me. Because she's never mentioned a problem with him before now.

So today will be his last day (reluctantly - I'm still debating whether to send someone to go and get him) and I'll decide whether he needs to go for dog walks or not. But to be honest I think I'll find a new dog walker altogether.

Sorry for the long rant. I'm so so angry! I know Stanley isn't a perfect dog and can be a bit of a terror - but he's not destructive. And what am I paying £15 a day for if she's leaving him for a few hours anyway?! I'd rather he was left at home where he's happy and safe!

2. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

That does seem strange that he is being left alone and watched on a camera. If she is leaving him then she should charge less and not complain about any damage a dog who is possibly bored might do. I would be furious if any of my dogs got shut in the hall for something they might or might not do!

MF and JenBainbridge like this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I agree with @Aitch - I do find this odd and how often might he have been left in the past? If you are paying someone for daycare, that’s what you expect - not to be watching on camera when they are doing something somewhere else.

JenBainbridge likes this.
  4. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ugh, how annoying.

My OH is a shift worker too and it drives me nuts. We manage Ella well (I'm only part time and work 5 mins from home) so no need for extra care for her but my son's childcare is crazy! $173 per day (approx £103 per day) regardless of whether he goes or not! OH just had five weeks leave so obviously kept Nath at home (except for a few golf days) so we spent an absolute fortune on nothing!

Rant away!!!!

5. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

This goes against the grain, how odd that she would leave a dog that she's being paid to mind. If she feels she needs more business there are other ways of going about changing things.

Bit of a shock for you I should think. Poor Stanley.

6. JenBainbridge

I've rang OH and he is going to pick him up when he finishes. We're in agreement he's not going back and I'm making contact with new dog walkers.

I just don't understand where it came from. She has never complained before then to make out he's an absolute nightmare from nowhere - and if I find out he's being told off I will not be happy.

He has never chewed anything in my house since he's been decrated. He's also never chewed anything in any of our families - so he's either been left for too long or she's full of sh*t. Either way she's just lost our custom and another as my friend has just got a puppy and is now saying she won't use her either.

7. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I would not be happy paying someone to watch my dog, who then leaves and watches on a camera. You could do that yourself from work! Even without the destruction comments, I would look for someone else. At his age now, he would probably do just as well being left in his own house with a visit from a dog walker for the small amount of time you have to leave him on his own. Our schedules sound quite similar to yours, and after some trial and error, now have a walker who we use the random days we actually need her.

8. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Wow I can see why you’re very upset. I still can’t get over the fact that you’re paying her to watch him and other dogs, so he has a good day full of fun and yet she’s leaving him like you’d have to anyways. Was she leaving the dogs out together or in separate areas? I don’t even want to imagine what could happen while dogs are playing unsupervised.

I personally would be getting axel out of there ASAP and bringing him home. Now that she has unleashed her rage she may take it out on him all day by telling him off for silly things. Or keeping him locked up by himself all day.

Sorry that this happened, I had something similar happen at Axel’s old day care and I was so shocked for one but also so angry that they didn’t tell me there was an issue right away. They let it all add up until they exploded on me, I then cried on the way home because Axel is everything to me and it hurt to hear negative things about him, whether they were true or not.

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

You're doing the right thing I wouldn't trust her. I don't believe her either.

JenBainbridge and selina27 like this.
  10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor Stanley and you too , I would also be furious ! How can this be day care if the dogs are left ? I`d have him in a heartbeat if I were closer , love Stanley x

11. JenBainbridge

OH spoke to her when he picked him up and she said she thinks Stanley is misbehaving due to a change in his routine with the change in OH's shifts.

Surely we would have noticed a change then since we're the ones with him 80% of the time.. she also commented on me being away this weekend. Life happens.. he was with OH, not left alone. No matter our plans Stanleys care is ALWAYS our priority.

But it's done now. He's not going again and both sets of our parents support the decision and have confirmed they will help as much as possible until we can get something sorted. So Stanley's spending the day with my dad tomorrow :D

I've made an appointment with a dog walker to discuss his requirements so we'll see how that goes.

edzbird, drjs@5, MF and 6 others like this.
  12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lovely that your parents have stepped in :)

13. JenBainbridge

We're very lucky with them :)

14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If you are paying for day care then you expect your dog to be watched and not left to supposedly chew her handles, it is up to her to make sure he doesn't do it surely! >:)

15. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I agree -I’d be very cross if I’d paid for daycare and found my dog was being left alone.

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Goodness!
    Sounds very odd.
    Good decision

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

How awful. I wouldn't trust her if she's watching him on a webcam - I done this whilst I worked, but would be furious if I was laying someone to watch my dog and found out they were doing this! I think you've made the right decision in taking out of daycare. Thank god for your parents. Good luck with talking to dog walkers.

18. JenBainbridge

Interviewing dog walkers this morning.

Wish me luck o_O

selina27 likes this.
  19. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Best of luck to you indeed. It is so hard ,to find people to care for your dog who really get how you want things to be.

20. JenBainbridge

We have a new dog walker. We shall see how we get on! Fingers crossed all goes well.

She really liked Stanley. He's going to be walked on his own, on lead. And she walks him for 45 minutes and she calms him down for 15 minutes when they back.

He liked her - but of course he did, he likes everyone :rolleyes:

Kelsey&Axel, Sven, SteffiS and 6 others like this.