Male vs Female

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Andrew10, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Andrew10

Andrew10 Registered Users

Hello everybody,

My wife and I have a choice between a male and female lab puppy (from the same litter). For no particular reason, both of us have only had male puppies before. I feel like it would be helpful for us, and fun for others, to share any personal experience or opinions about any differences between female and male labs.

It can be physical, behavioral, attitude, as puppies, adults, etc. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Boys all the way for me! I currently have 2 male labs and 3 females. The boys are 100% easier to train and a lot more affectionate. I like the girls, but find that everything with them needs to be a compromise. If I ask them to do something, they will pause, as if asking "why?" before doing. The boys, tend not to think to much as just "do"!

3. Deboragh

Deboragh Registered Users

I've only had females so I can't compare. I think people often choose what they're used to. This time we had decided on a male puppy for a change but the litter turned out to be 10 girls and 2 boys, so we ended up with another girl

4. Shazkins

Shazkins Registered Users

OMG I so recognise that with my girl ! And sometimes the answer she gives is "no I don't think your reason is good enough, I think I'll continue doing what I'm doing, thanks" :D

Seriously though, I actually changed my mind from getting a boy to getting a girl. I had the same reason initially for getting a boy as I'd only ever had male dogs, but changed my mind just really due to the fact that I was told in Labs boy dogs tend to be larger/heavier/stronger than girl dogs. That theory does seem to be borne out at least with most of the labs I've come across since, and Cassie at nearly two and full grown is on the smaller size, which suits us fine.