Malvern Hills vs. Brecon Beacons

Discussion in 'Dog Friendly Places & Recommendations' started by Penny+Me, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

So I'm trying to plan a day out hiking for myself and OH, and the dog obviously!

The Malvern Hills are about 1hr 20mins from me and the Brecon Beacons are 1hr 40mins.

I was just wondering if anyone can recommended any walks in either area? Looking for something not too difficult and between 3-5 miles roughly.

Edited to add: some stunning scenery and rivers for Penny to play in would be good too! :)

2. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Malvern Hills vs. Brecon Beacons

Hi Lauren,

The Malvern Hills certainly offer some great views and some challenging walks. Its really Stacia's stomping ground so I'll leave it to her for route suggestions. I've not yet found any water for dogs to swim in (the water in the picture below is fenced-off).

Harv at the Malverns:
    [​IMG]

To my shame I've only ever driven over the Brecon Beacons ::)

3. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Holly's first "big" walk was in the Brecons. It was about four hours, gentle gradients, alongside a stream for part of the walk, and ending on a summit. If you want I could do you a map.

4. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Or there are wonderful walks in the Wye Valley. From Symonds Yat you can walk along a very smooth, slow and swimmable part of the Wye, miles of woodland trails, and finish at the Log Cabin for tea and snacks.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

There are different parking places on either side of the Malvern Hills and you have to pay a parking fee :( The south end of the hills are less populated, you can either walk on lower paths around the hills or get on top and walk the length which is about ten miles long! Unfortunately there are no rivers or streams. There is a lake at the Gullet Quarry, but since a couple of people were drowned there last year, I believe it is now fenced off.

The views from both sides of the hills are good, Herefordshire in particular and you can see the Welsh Mountains. Why not do both the Malvern Hills and Brecon Beacons before Christmas ;D You will most probably find sheep on both of them though. There are warnings where the sheep are on the Malvern Hills, well there used to be!