Managing the CONE

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Lisa, Jun 14, 2013.

1. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: Managing the CONE

bless , now i have seen this , i am going to try the inflatable collar......i feel for you :)

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh I've burst out laughing at this photo.he is so gorgeous,his face really looks like he is saying 'what the %#?$?'excuse my implied French!

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I totally agreed with his sentiment on the whole situation!! ;D

Lynne, I did ask the vet's office about the inflatable type on Friday when it became clear the original one was deteriorating. She said they don't work for big dogs. The one we have now we bought at the pet store. It's made by Kong so hopefully it will last the next 3 days.... We reinforced it with Velcro before we put it on. Got him a new collar, attached the new cone, put it on Simba and then took the old one off. Worked!!! :D

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That photo is a classic. God love 'im.

Wednesday is getting closer by the second :)

5. lynnelogan

i have looked at the inflatable one on ebay the go up to x large,,,,,i will order one, just in case i have problems like yourself.......soon be wednesday

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well hopefully it will work....keep us posted! We've fixed up the old one again so we can put it back on if this one is hacked and bashed and chewed to death like the first one was. It only took two days for the first one to become unusable, and we've got 3 days left. The vet did say 7-10 days with the cone but keeping fingers crossed for the 7.... :D

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sorry Lisa, but I saw this and thought of you.........

[​IMG]

jac xx

8. lynnelogan

jac .....i am laughing my head off................not long to go poor lisa :)

9. Dexter

Classic! X

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

HA HA!!! You have to laugh or you'll cry.... ;D ;D

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I hope you and Simba have a better day today

Jac xx

12. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well, it's only 8:50 AM here and so far Simba has.....

....been turfed out of my son's bedroom where he was sleeping last night due to some as yet unknown misbehaviour. He was let out in the yard sometime around 6? 6:15?

.....got me all muddy from me getting up at 6:45 to let him in, cone all dirty, bash, bash into me as I'm trying to clean dog and cone off

....found a pen in our bedroom, had to be "bribed" with a treat to reluctantly give up. Pen slightly mangled.

.....found two, three, four?? kleenexes in bedroom (raiding of bathroom garbage) which were eaten

....discovered a roll of pennies in bedroom and I didn't know what it was, only that he was tearing around the house with pennies dropping out of his mouth....finally mangaged to "bribe" with treat (after whatever he had in mouth was eaten). Finally realized it was a penny roll....went around the house and found all pennies and counted them and he hadn't eaten any, only the carboard roll, thank goodness

....discovered clothespin in bedroom and was not really wanting to give up even for a treat but finally managed to get it with said treat and some prying out of jaws. Half clothespin eaten, but the half with the metal bit was the part I saved, so I consider that a draw

.....discovered the bottom bits of the venetian blinds in living room and had the little chain in his mouth and was starting to pull. If he kept at it he would rip all the blinds down, so I couldn't allow him to do it. Jaws of steel were clamped down hard, tried kibble treat, but that was not working, tried to get chain out of his mouth, he growled at me, tried treat again, no go, finally managed to pry/treat it out of his mouth.

I am now sitting with a steaming cuppa and said dog is sleeping peacefully at front door. Only another 12 hours or so to go until the day's over...... :(

13. Dexter

Oh Lisa at this point I just want to say SUPPORT and well done for surviving !simba!!!!...whatcha doin!?.will work through your post tomorrow and promise to give you my spin on all you have said....BRIBE is a word that stands out to me.....xxxx

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I know...he will drop things in his mouth to get the treat, usually...but as you see above it doesn't always work. I do call him throughout the day just to "come" and reward with a treat, too. But I don't know how else to get things out of his mouth that I don't want him to have. And he knows what they are. :) As you can see, it really doesn't work to try to pry them out of his mouth, either the "jaws of steel" clamp down on the item and/or he will start growling if I try too hard, or especially if I am trying to hold him via collar or other means as I'm trying to pry things out of mouth, which I don't do very often but couldn't be helped this AM in relation to the curtain scenario as I couldn't have him taking off with that in his mouth and ripping it all down.

If he has a "naughty" item his first inclination is to race around the house with it, wanting me to chase him to get it back, of course. Which I won't do, but will go get a treat and call him to me and usually he will come.

But I don't want him to make the connection that "Hey! If I take something I'm not supposed to have, then I will get a treat!"

I would have stuff around for him to chew or be distracted by but at the moment with the CONE he can't really "hold" them with his paws so that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions on this dilemma would be appreciated!!!

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Just remember. ...you will look back on this in a few months and think it was so funny (really).
    We hope.
    ;D

Jac

16. lynnelogan

i feel for you lisa....jasper does or has done all of them things,..... i refuse to chase him ......, he does insist on helping me to empty the washer, running off with a sock, i ignore this, once he knows i am not interested after seconds the sock is dropped, less holes now in them it was me causing the damage by grabbing things off him , stole tea towels off the counters, wanting to play tug of war, now he don't even bother taking them , i won't play them games..... if he wants to play he as toys, i will gladly play with him :) loves a peg , i always try and divert his attention to something else...i only allow what i see as acceptable behaviour.......i have been very consistent and has just started to pay off...... i have a long way to go yet....you are doing your best, stick at it :) :)

17. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I hope he has a nice, long sleep!!

I wouldn't worry about him thinking that swapping stuff for a treat means 'I get a treat for stealing things so I should steal more things to get more treats'. You are doing the right thing. What kind of treats are you using? Are there higher value treats you could pull out for the 'big ticket' occasions?

Just stick at it - you are doing a wonderful job with him :) I certainly admire you for taking him on. I agree with the others that if you persist he will gradually lose all these behaviours. Right now he is a rapscallion but he won't always be. It will all be fine in the end.

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Thanks all. I ran out of my "special" treats and was using some of his kibble. Will buy some more of the good stuff tomorrow, hopefully. Maybe that will up the enthusiasm!

19. Dexter

Lisa this is how I have dealt with the Jaws of steel that live in our house .....,bribery is playing a large part!!!!.....in the beginning I dealt with Dexter nicking things by prising them off him......our biggest problems though have always been stones and they are tricky little buggers to remove( he does do the teatowels,washing,pegs and kids toys too) i felt the same about the reward/bribe......was i rewarding naughtiness ie if i get a stone,i get a treat....Then I read one of Pippa's books that mentioned not spoiling their soft mouths by forcing things from them and thought flippin heck,wish I'd got to that chapter faster.......So I've stopped the forcible approach now ,and tug of wars....sadly i think Dexters mouth is ruined forever......although I have my doubts it was EVER soft!
    Now if he has something I call him and get a treat....he comes ,mostly with the contraband in his mouth and the second he drops it I say drop,click and treat.....in my mind im treating the 'drop' don't know if I'm right though..we can stand eyeballing each other for a while sometimes...hes got onto the fact that his treats are his kibble :'( I probably should try higher value treats now but it took such a while for me to get his diet and upset Tum right,I've stuck with what I know doesn't upset him.
    we have not progressed from this which I need to do when I get back and I guess like everything it will be time and patience .......the 'drop' is a step in the retrieve training exercises if memory serves me and I haven't really focused on that.....
    What had he done to your son,or can you just add snoring to his list of misdemeanors? X

20. Dexter

Just realized its Wednesday.....Liberation!x