MARKING... ahh help!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by 4theloveoflabs, Mar 11, 2017.

1. 4theloveoflabs

4theloveoflabs Registered Users

We have an almost 7 month old male. We are waiting to neither him until he is 1.5-2 years old to help protect his joints.

He just started lifting his leg to mark on walks. He typically marks multiple times which was not bothering me at all until I took him over to a friend's house. He knows her dogs very well but this was the first time being in her house. We let them outside first so he could urinate, but then after an hour of being there he lifted his leg on her coffee table, and I saw him also pee on her bed and bedroom floor.

Will this subside after his puppy hormones calm down or will this get worse? Should I not let him mark on walks?

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I find the boys need toilet training twice. First on horizontal surfaces; grass ok, carpet not. Then again on vertical surfaces; trees ok, furniture not. It's really much the same as when they first learned SIT. Learning it in your kitchen didn't mean they knew it also applied outside in your yard, dogs don't generalize like that.

So no, unless you teach him again he won't learn he shouldn't pee inside. You will probably always have to watch him at certain places. I do at my Vet's where, for whatever crazy reason, they put an outside corner on their reception desk and covered it in barnboard. It's impossible for them to completely get the pee smell out of that corner and when Oban goes in I can see the thought bubble over his head, "But Mum, all the other boy dogs pee'd here." :)

I do allow marking on a leashed walk but only for part of it. After all, who's walk is it anyway? I allow my dog to check and reply to pee mail on that section. :)

4theloveoflabs likes this.
  3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I've always trained boys that cocking leg on surfaces indoors is not acceptable. Outside I'might not bothered but again try and deter from using neighbours cars/gates etc as message posts

4theloveoflabs likes this.
  4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well, now I have been made aware of the €300 fine I can get for my boy peeing on walls, lampposts etc, I now have a strict "no peeing when on your handle" policy. So, I have one lead (a long Halti lead) for sniffy walks and the handle for no-sniffing-or-peeing walks. The handles are only ever on for getting from A to B rather for the duration of a real walk.

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

@snowbunny maybe you could carry an extra "handle." A stick for him to pee on. Then you'll need a bag to carry it home in. I have no doubt that with silly regulations like that you'd be littering if you throw the stick away. ;)

Emily, MF and snowbunny like this.