Marley and me

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JulieT, Sep 8, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Am just reading Marley and me - I'm sure most if not all have read it, but with all the new puppy owners we have just now... the description of the very young yellow lab puppy Marley made me bust out laughing:

"Marley was young and wired, with the attention span of algae and the volatility of nitroglycerin".

:D :D :D

Worryingly, six months on and the description is still a fair (ish) one of Charlie!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Marley and me

Awww....you don't mean it ! ;D

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I read the book and watched the movie when it first came out....warning: there will be tissues needed!!!

But it's really good! I laughed a lot at the beginning..... when I read it I had an elderly Border Collie who had been a faithful companion for over 10 years and was perfectly well-behaved.

I think if I read it now it might not be quite so funny..... ::)

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Me too and laughed and cried,Chris's Best Friend Jonathan came over on holiday and borrowed it for a holiday read.....he had a black lab at the time Henry.....he couldn't read it to the end.....it had him in bits when the inevitable happened :( x

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Just finished it - in floods of tears! Hugging Charlie...

6. Missy33

Missy33 Registered Users

I've never cried so hard at a film, literally it was like I'd lost that dog... although at the beginning when it demolished the slatted blinds...can think of a certain someone by my feet who does the same! Not read the book, think I will though.

7. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

My whole family was sitting watching the movie and bawling at the end....of course my hubs is known to cry at TV commercials ::) but still....brutal....

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We call it Charlie & Me in our house ;D and I have lost count of the times I have watched it with my children and we all sob so much we love it :'( :'( Helen x

9. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

I have seen it once, and most likely be only once now. Caught a bit off it a few weeks ago, where Marley couldn't walk up stairs after playing with the kids. That's all I saw and was so upset!!!!!

I never expected to feel so emotional towards our Amy. As a farmers daughter I thought I was "hard" when it came to animals. But she has melted my heart!

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh... OK. I am the odd one out here, I didnt see the film as I thought the book was awful - sentimental, mawkish and dreadfully written... :( Sorry guys!!

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I liked the book more than the film but I can only read or watch stuff like that once. I remember thinking Schindler's List was brilliant and sat down to watch it again when it came on TV. Couldn't face the emotional rollercoaster though so didn't finish watching it. I prefer to be entertained than wrung out emotionally ;D

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Great British Bake Off is about as emmotionally charged as I can handle ::)

I have read Marley and Me or seen the film , I would be in bits for days ::)

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Kate ,Im with you,I jump in 'Midsommer Murders' and can cry in the last 5 minutes of something......anything on the Telly,even if I have no idea what has passed before !!!

14. Shell

Shell Registered Users

Oh read the book, it is so much better - my sides and face hurt from laughing and I must have been in tears the whole time due to laughing or crying.

15. jennyann

jennyann Registered Users

I haven't read the book or seen the film - I might give it a miss though - I believe it has a sad ending? Couldn't cope...ha ha!!!

But laughed at your quote - perfect description of dosey Rosie here too...!