marley eating my wall

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jo2201, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Jo2201

Jo2201 Registered Users

Hi marley Is eating my kitchen wall he has plenty of chew toys etc have been told to mix mustard with filler to make it taste nasty has anyone else done this tried bitter apple spray he likes the taste smeared pepper on the wall he loves that too there is nothing he doesn't like the taste of so far typical lab I know last lab was born and old man he didn't chew bite etc so not sure what to do this time round if anyone has a suggestion would love to hear them

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My Willow would eat the wall by the front door if she was left what she deemed as too long. The solution is to restrict access when he can't be monitored, diverted when you see him doing it and slowly build up the time he is left unsupervised.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We used diversion tactics too, but admit also to mixing chilli powder ( the extra hot one I bought by mistake) with washing up liquid and painted it on the wood Lilly was targeting.
    I worked for us.
    The antichew spray was rubbish but can't remember what one we had.

4. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

We used diversion tactics as well. Even if you find a spray that works, they will always find a spot that isn't sprayed.

5. Jo2201

Jo2201 Registered Users

Great thanks will try that he knows it's wrong when we say no and give him a chew toy he look at us drops it and puts his mouth on wall can't wait for teething to stop

6. Jo2201

Jo2201 Registered Users

Tried the chilli powder and washing up liquid works a treat think whole house will be covered in the end he took 1 lick and not gone back for more thanks for that

drjs@5 likes this.
  7. MF

MF Registered Users

We made barrier boards out of MDF sheets fitted on wooden feet (looked like those old-fashioned asbestos heaters). We'd move them where we'd not want our pup to chew the skirting. He chewed the wooden feet of the barrier board -- didn't bother us, it was going to be thrown out when he moved on from chewing (wow, it has been several years now -- he's all grown up). Worked a charm although they were ugly! But cheap to make up at the hardware store and a lot cheaper than replacing our skirting boards (he pulled one skirting board off the wall while I was in a work conference call and couldn't get to him -- was stuck in the call while I heard the ripping sound!).

8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Did you read the book or see the movie? That's what you get for naming him Marley. ;) Kidding.

How long is he alone? Maybe it's too long and he's bored and lonely? If you have to leave him while you work maybe someone could come in or he could go to DDC? I guess I'm assuming he's the age in your avatar.

I found they don't play with chew toys when alone. OUrs played with chew toys when I played with them. I rotated toys too, three "new" ones every day, only handed out one at a time and all with me interacting. At night they all went into the toy basket. Might help a bit. OUr boy was gated in our kitchen and was never alone very long and we were lucky, he did not destroy walls or cabinets.