Marvin, too much white?

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Redrobin1977, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Redrobin1977

Redrobin1977 Registered Users

This is Marvin. this pic is a couple months old, but he is 8 months old now and weighs 65 pounds. I have read that it is ok to have some white, but is this too much? It has developed into a perfect upwArd arrow! He has also gotten white around his groin as he has grown. Notice all the black on his tongue. We don't have papers, but we were told both parents were pure. He's our boy now so it doesn't matter.
    [​IMG]

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Maybe there is a little something else in the mix, but if he's healthy why worry. He's a very handsome boy with very unique whites bits. Lots of labs have white bits I've seen a few that have white bits like yours. He's lovely

3. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

He has the Labrador smile and the kind eyes which to me is the most important thing.

I think he is a good looking, healthy looking dog and you have got a great photo of him.

4. Redrobin1977

here he is at 6 months. He is a muscular dog for his size. [​IMG]

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hello there,he's a good looking chap for sure.Did you meet his parents ?I guess if you don't insist on seeing papers and health checks then it can be a bit of a lottery and you need to have an open mind about the dog you welcome into your family.Marvin sounds very loved by you.
    I have a yellow boy who is 3 .....over the Summer I noticed a black mark on the pink fleshy part of his mouth .because it had appeared so suddenly I took him to see the vet and she said it was normal pigmentation and that he may go on to develop some spots on his tongue.....he hasn't yet.I think they are called something that pertains to a Sire a long way back in Labrador history...one of the other members might know better than me
    Best Wishes
    Angela

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have seen a pure bred Lab with an even whiter chest! I chose my last Lab because he has a white stripe behind his wrist, this goes back to a famous Lab in the 1920s. My other Lab has an even bigger area of black on his tongue that your dog :). Way back I think other dogs (Collies?) were introduced into the breed to improve speed, so that could account for the white.

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Marvin is a lovely boy. A small amount of white is allowed according to the breed standard but the amount is only really relevant if you intend to show or breed from him. I'm guessing that without any papers for him that's not your intention and he is very much a part of the family.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't think that's an unusually large amount of white. Dogs with white on the chest will vary in how much...some will have small amounts of white and some will have moderate to large amounts of white. Just natural variation. For the show ring the less the better, but for a pet it doesn't matter.

The black pigment on the tongue isn't common but it's totally normal.

His left ear sits out a little - that's the only thing that stands out to me. Some purebreds do have ears that don't sit totally flat against the head - again, not something you'd ever see in the show ring or breed from, but not an issue at all in a pet.

He's a handsome boy :)

9. Redrobin1977

He was not intended for show, but as a pet and a possible duck retrieving dog. I did see his father and grandmother in "person" lol but only a picture of the mother. We were told the mother slopped the fence and was hit by a car when the pups were 4 weeks and the family had to finish bottle feeding them. His father was yellow and mother was chocolate. He is smart, but very rambunctious! Funny I never noticed his ear before. I know he does have a habit of letting both flip back. He looks funny. :)

10. Redrobin1977

And, just because I miss her so-this was my beautiful Sandy baby. She passed a month ago at age 13.4 months. I always thought she was the most gorgeous- typical lab personality wise you could have. Every one loved Sandy girl. We got her for 50 dollars from a local farmer! I don't think you always need papers to get a great lab. [​IMG]

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sandy was a beautiful girl. What a lovely face. I'm sure you miss her terribly.

Labrador ears are pretty mobile.... Marvin may just hold that ear out sometimes when he's in the mood :)

12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Very early labradors had a lot of white on them and a chow cross lab was shown in about the 50's and it had a blue tongue and that was the only difference between him and a pure breed lab.

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sandy had a beautiful, smiley and kind face. I am so sorry you lost her you must be devestated. :(

Marvin is just so handsome and I love his wonky ear and white bits too :) xx