Mast Cell in Labs

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Taylor613, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Taylor613

Taylor613 Registered Users

First time poster hoping someone may have experience. So my 7 y/o lab had a bump pop up and I watched it for a week or so it got to be a little smaller than size of a grape went away then returned in same spot. Made appointment this week to have it aspirated and when I went on Wednesday it was gone. Vet looked and felt for it and couldn't find a thing. Come home from work today and it is back in same spot.. it is a hard bump -no ulceration or oozing. Dog acting completely fine. Made appointment for Monday to have it checked. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Worried it is mast cell

2. Spencerboy

Spencerboy Registered Users

Lypoma maybe? Was the lump ever soft or just hard?

3. Spencerboy

Also, where is the lump located on her body?

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lumps can be tricky but I'm sure your vet will get to the bottom of it. Most lumps are harmless, so try not to worry at this stage. Hope the vet can get a good look at it on Monday. Let us know how it goes.

5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

It really is very difficult not to worry. Lumps and bumps are common in labs around the 7/8 years old mark. I know this after just having a needle biopsy on my older dog. It was a lump I found in his abdomen, so took him straight to the vet to investigate. Like you I was beside myself with anxiety. It turned out t o be a lipoma, a fairly common lump.

6. Taylor613

The bump was fairly hard. Like I said it is there one day and gone the next. That cycle continues. Weird thing was that when I went to vet it was gone to a point where the vet pinching the skin couldnt even find anything. It is on her back above hip and to the right of spine

7. Spencerboy

That is strange, please let us know what you find out. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about and if it has reappeared so the Vet can see it they can aspirate it to tell what's going on.

8. Taylor613

Went to vet tonight and it is a Mast Cell Tumor. Will be having it removed on the 28th. There is no way of knowing if a bump is mast cell besides aspirate. Hopefully the vet will get good margins and we can move on.

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good to have a diagnosis. Hopefully after removing it that'll be the last you ever see of this kind of thing.

Well done for being observant and getting onto it so quickly.