Meal times?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by EmmaHughes, May 22, 2018.

1. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

Hi, does anyone know of or can offer advice on why Mason 10 months doesn’t eat at mealtimes, been going on for a while.
    Used to eat meals then couple months ago stopped eating breakfast. Would eat it after walk mid morning. Now eats breakfast in the afternoon.
    Doesn’t have many treats but has energy and is happy.
    Just wandering why not eating when I put it down.
    Have made food more interesting with chicken, cheese or sausage and if I sit with him then he will eat or if I throw it sometimes starts him eating

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @EmmaHughes Has Mason been checked over by your vet to make sure that there is no physical/medical reason for him not to want to eat?
    When you put his food down, how long do you leave it? Or Do you free feed him (keep food available all day). Appetite can be poor in some dogs if food is always available. I always suggest that food is put down, left for 15-20 minutes and then removed until the next meal time. I wouldn't add any extra tasty bits as dogs can learn that if they hold out better food will be offered.
    If he shows no enthusiasm for his food consider changing to a different brand - It's amazing what a difference it can make. Add some wet meat as a topper. I had a client who told me her Cavapoo wasn't interested in food, we changed the food on a behaviour modification plan and you should have seen that little one eat on the new food. Also check the quantity you are offering, it may be too much for him so he's not hungry when you offer more food.
    You could also use some of the slow feeder bowls to make it more interesting and challenging at meal times, kongs or other food toys, or on a sunny day just through it out onto the garden and let Mason hunt for it.
    If Mason isn't interested in his meals, there is a reason - we just need to find it by eliminating causes.

Stacia, Plum's mum and EmmaHughes like this.
  3. EmmaHughes

Hi, no he hasn’t as he seems ok in himself. I had this impression that labs ate everything.
    His food stays there till he eats it
    Oh I added nicer things because for couple of weeks wouldn’t touch his food.
    As I’ve added tastier things he has eaten it but when he wants too. Then of course afternoon comes and early evening bark bark bark cause he is he hungry. So I try and encourage him to eat that food before he can have a chew or two.
    He doesn’t have the required amount as breeder suggested 6 scoops of food I think too much so he has 1.5 to 2 scoops and he seems ok with this. He is a mummy’s boy as I’m with him a lot and wherever I am he is literally there too which is very sweet.
    Thank you, he has gone off his kings/ bones at lunchtime too as he eats his breakfast late we are in a muddle I know

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My last puppy wasn't too interested in food from a bowl. She'd walk away from it. If I hid it around the room or simply scattered it over the floor, she loved it! So much so that one time I was in a rush and just plopped a bowl in front of her. She took one loot at it, blatted it with her paw and then ate it all off the floor :)

Now she'll eat anything from any receptacle. The Lab genes kicked in eventually!

EmmaHughes likes this.
  5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @EmmaHughes I would introduce proper mealtimes as it sounds as if Mason has learnt that he eats when it suits him, not whether it suits your schedule.
    So I would offer breakfast at XX o'clock with food offered for around 20 minutes and then removed. Some lunch whether it is a chew, kibble or whatever at YY o'clock and then dinner at ZZ o'clock with food offered for 20 minutes and then removed. Food not eaten at breakfast/dinner can be used for training treats with no other treats/food offered.
    Mealtimes can be fun by making him work for his food which can provide more enrichment for a dog.
    It may be worth considering a different food as his current just might not excite him too much. Sometimes a different food is all it takes.
    Amazingly enough not all Labradors are fixated with food - my girl certainly isn't but eats her meals at regular mealtimes, or within 30minutes or so normally.

6. EmmaHughes

Thank you I can give this a go

7. EmmaHughes

Hi Jojo I think you might be right!
    Sounds like really hard work and it just seems like having a young child all over again.
    I guess I could try but I do worry about the effects that might have on him and then which food do I buy?
    I’m pleased your girl does eat well

8. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Having a puppy, whatever the breed, is like having a baby or small child but without the prospect of them growing up one day and leaving home :) . I'm not sure 'what effects' you are worried about with Mason.
    What food are you feeding him at the moment? There are websites to review and research foods so finding something similar shouldn't be too difficult.

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yep! Welcome to puppy ownership :D

Joking aside, I'm not sure what you're worried about being hard work? That you're going to ask your puppy to work for his food? That's part of the joy of having a dog - the training. Before I started feeding home cooked food, my dogs got nearly all their allowance spread throughout the day as training treats or enrichment activities rather than being given them in a bowl. Think of each piece of kibble as potentially a way to strengthen good behaviours and your relationship. It's such a waste to chuck that in a bowl and lose all those opportunities. I'm going to start blending my dogs' home-made food and putting it into baby pouches so I can get rid of bowl feeding again. It's so much more enjoyable for all of us when we get to play games for food. Even if you don't have a lot of time, playing a three-minute training game can go through a lot of pieces of kibble - and if you're really short of time or brain power, scattering a handful in the garden for your pup to sniff out will really tire him out, as sniffing uses a huge amount of the brain. Soaking the kibble and stuffing it into Kong and other similar toys makes them work for it, too, and, again tires them out and makes their meals more enriching. It also gives you a breather when you need ten minutes to yourself :)

selina27 likes this.
  10. EmmaHughes

True very true
    Just he has been eating this food all the time. It’s expensive k9 optimum for big breeds.
    I didn’t know if he would like the new food, and what would happen to his tummy and would I mix his old food slowly into the new food?

11. EmmaHughes

Hi I suppose for me it’s jyst offering him the kibble with nothing extra I worry about.
    I can ask him to work for his food. Just bit busy in the mornings nags with kids etc. And Mason desperate to go out for walk within few minutes of me come by down in the morning.
    Thank you I will try the 3 minute training game.

12. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Some dogs can be free feeders. My Malamute ate what he wanted when he wanted. We always left food in his bowl, and he did not get fat. He did not particularly like kibble, but would eat it if we left it down. I don't think it is a problem, unless you have other dogs in the house. Most Labs can't be free feeders, because they will over eat, but some dogs seem to know when to stop.

None of our dogs have ever had a problem changing dog food abruptly. I know many people advise changing slowly, but it has never been an issue for us. We occasionally change brands for variety, and the dogs seem to be very happy with that approach. All of ours seem to have cast iron stomachs, but they don't eat things like toy stuffing and squeakers. They just tear up the toy and leave the remains.

EmmaHughes likes this.