Medium kongs - are they big enough?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by leejane, Mar 22, 2017.

1. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Hi,
    I've always bought large extreme kongs for Monty from 6 months onwards as recommended by the manufacturer. But I get a bit fed up of softer foods getting stuck in the bottom, banana, sweet potato, etc, as he can't quite seem to lick them out.

I've just bought a medium kong to see if its solves the problem, but it does seem quite small - does everyone else find these perfectly safe for fully grown labs, am I just worrying unnecessarily? I seem to recall people saying they used medium but do you swap to large after a certain age?
    thanks

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mine all have medium size :)

There's one large on here in this photo - but the large size holds too much food, my dogs have a kong after each meal and one if we go out and leave them for an hour or two.

IMG_3394.JPG

Attached Files:

Cath and leejane like this.
  3. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I have 3 regular large kongs and 2 puppy medium kongs. We have no issues with the smaller kongs and still use them regularly (Quinn just licks and drops it on the floor to get the stuff out).

4. leejane

@Boogie, @QuinnM15, thanks both for your replies - realistically now I can't see how he could possibly choke on it so I'll stop worrying - perhaps a manufacturers' ploy to get you to buy the bigger, pricier products - says cynical me ;)
    I'll buy a few more mediums

5. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I had to up the size to the biggest size as Axel's tongue would make a loud suction noise when trying to pull it out, freaked me out so I went for the biggest kong and now there will be some light suction noises but just small ones and not nearly as frequent

6. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Harley has large ones. We need to get more because she takes them all over the place and I can't find them. She also drops them on the floor. She learned that trick at a very young age.

7. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

We have three large and two extra large for Ripple. I save the extra large for evenings when I go out. Unfortunately even the extreme kongs seem to start to deteriorate after 6 months continual use , I don't know if it's all the freezing or Ripple's patented chewing method :D.

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I use both medium and large for my dogs. Right now, the puppy gets the medium ones and the older two get the large, but that's only because I like to keep the mediums for Squidge. I have six of each size, and it's not enough! LoveloveloveloveLOVE kongs! :nod:

9. leejane

@SteffiS ,Yes, monty's are the same, small cracks followed by larger ones then small chunks coming away. I don't freeze mine nearly so often as I used to so think it's the fault of the super chewers!

10. leejane

over the past two years I've bought 8... yet just counted them and there's only 5... how have I lost 3???

drjs@5 likes this.