Meet Dozer

Discussion in 'The Rainbow Bridge' started by Stryker, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Stryker

Stryker Registered Users

Hello,

I seem to mention Dozer in most of my post and I never noticed this section before so I figured why not. He was my first dog that was not called a family dog. Dozer (and his brother Eddie) came to me when he was just 6 weeks old, bottle fed both of them for a week before the vet said it was ok to switch to a soft solid food.

Sadly their life wasn't started off in a good way. All other puppies in the litter had passed away due to neglect of the "backyard breeder." In all honesty, I did not want Dozer to begin with. A friend of my sisters brought them to my place where they would later come over, pick the one they wanted and then take the other to the pound. Well my sister was unable to make it for 2 nights in a row as I lived 45 minutes away from the nearest town in a really rural area up in Oregon, USA.

The night she finally was able to come get them she was getting ready to leave with the puppies and I said, "Ahh what the hell, might as well keep one of them since I got property the little guy could run." So that's how I got him and it was the best decision in my life.

Dozer went 2 months, almost three months longer with out a name. One day my sister was up for a visit with her 2 year old little daughter and Dozer was so excited he ran right for her and at the last second turned himself sideways and hit her with his back end. At this time I had a friend who was out with me and we seen it happen and he responded with, "That dang dog is like a Bull Dozer." I said, "Perfect! His name is Dozer!" and the rest is history.

First trip to the ocean
    [​IMG]

A visit in to town to see his brother Eddie.
    [​IMG]

Eddie (being pulled) Dozer (The one pulling)
    [​IMG]

A few years ago
    [​IMG]

Halloween when he was about a year old. Don't worry the paint used was not harmful, I tripped checked! I chained him up for the moment cause he wouldn't stand still and let me spray him.
    [​IMG]

His buddy, Snake. He was so gentle with this snake it was amazing he never nipped or anything and let Snake slitter all around him and he just rolled over on his back like a champ.
    [​IMG]

His first signs of old age, white hair on his chin.
    [​IMG]

Sadly the last year of his life
    [​IMG]

In the trailer on our way either to or from the last visit to see his brother. I told him to smile and this is how the picture came out. (By the way that was his life long stuffy next to him. We called him Humpy for, well, I'm sure you can figure it out).
    [​IMG]

One more trip to see his brother before it was to late
    [​IMG]

A final good-bye picture of them together
    (Eddie on the left and Dozer on the right)
    [​IMG]

This truly was one of the hardest days of my life. June 1st of this year we had to lay him to rest. He could no longer walk, the medications no longer were working and I couldn't bare to see him suffer in pain.
    [​IMG]

A week after he was laid to rest his vet sent me this letter and yes, made this man cry like a baby when I read it.
    [​IMG]

Dozer would of been 10 years old this year on August 23rd. He had a really bad case of arthritis which was from his immune system attacking his joints. I did everything in my power to help him but after spending $1,000.00's in the last 6 months of his life, it was to advanced so I made the decision no pet owner ever wants to have to think about.

I miss him everyday. Everybody he ever came in contact with he lite up their life. I had friends that asked me if they could have him. He never really had any formal training but was the kindest, sweetest best behaved friend that I could of ever asked for.

Thank you for letting me share this with you all. I wish all your animals a long and healthy, loving life. May they bring you peace, love and joy in the same companionship that Dozer gave me.

R.I.P Buddy

2. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a wonderful dog. You clearly loved him very much and gave him a good life, and he rewarded you by returning that love.

Stryker likes this.
  3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's so lovely. It made me teary.

What a great dog. The picture with the snake is amazing.

I'm sure you miss him so very much.

Stryker likes this.
  4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Thank you for sharing a few pictures of your lovely boy Dozer - what a good life he had with you xx

Stryker likes this.
  5. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Thank you for sharing the photos and stories of Dozer, I'm definitely tearing up and can't blame the sniffing on my cold. What a lovely dog, you were both lucky to find each other.

Stryker likes this.
  6. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

Ahh lovely Dozer, thank you for sharing. We had a similar experience with our old boy Lundy who went before his time at 11 due to severe arthritis that we couldn't manage any longer but hardest day of my life. What a wonderful life you gave him though.

Stryker likes this.
  7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What a lovely post. So sad to lose our beloved pets, but the memories they leave us with are sweet, once we get past the pain.

Dozer was clearly very loved.

I love that you have a snake called Snake! I had two Royal Pythons (I think you call them Ball Pythons in the States?) years ago, called Smirnoff and Metz. When I emigrated, they went to live with a friend of mine who cares for all sorts of critters that are seized as illegal imports by Customs. His house is an Aladdin's cave of crazy beasts, so my two seemed quite mundane there.

Stryker likes this.
  8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

What a fortunate dog Dozer was to be homed by you after such a very bad start in life. Thank you for sharing the photos of his life, he looked such a lovely dog, how sad that he had the immune problem. To think that now Dozer is known by hundreds of people, fame and much loved xxx

Stryker likes this.
  9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

So lovely to meet Dozer! Thank you for sharing his story. Run free lovely boy.

Stryker likes this.
  10. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Beautifully written, I feel like I know Dozer. Thank you so much for sharing....must go..as I need a tissue....:)

Stryker likes this.
  11. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

What a sweet and gentle boy! A beautiful way to help remember him...

Stryker likes this.
  12. Stryker

Stryker Registered Users

That's the only thing we can do as a pet owner is to give our animals all the love and care that they deserve. There were many of times I can remember rushing home just to be around him or missing out on a few camping trips because of the whole "No dogs allowed" thing but I wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you all for your kind words. He really was a special guy in my life, just like your animals are special to each and every one of you.

Naya, drjs@5, Granca and 1 other person like this.
  13. Stryker

Stryker Registered Users

Yes we call them Ball Pythons but know them as Royal Pythons. Snake was get in between his collar and wrap himself around it and I would take the two for walks. It's funny how many people run from a dog with a snake around it's neck.

We were at the park one day and Snake was wrapped around his neck while Dozer was sleeping under the shade tree and some guy walked up to me and asked if that snake just killed my dog. The expression on his face was priceless.

SwampDonkey, Naya and Beanwood like this.
  14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hahaha, brilliant!!

15. Granca

Granca Registered Users

What a wonderful tribute to a lovely dog. Dozer was so lucky to have found you. Thank you for sharing his story and the photos.

16. Cath

Cath Registered Users

What a well love dog. Dozer was a very luck lad to have you.

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Tears here too.
    :heart:
    Run free Dozer x

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Dozer was clearly very loved and I think fate stood when you decided to keep him. He sounds like he was an amazing companion. Your story brought tears to my eyes x

19. Stryker

Stryker Registered Users

He was indeed that one best friend anybody could ever ask for. My human "best" friend was very jealous of him and always gave me crap about it. I used to always say, "Don't like it? There's the door."

:D

20. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Thank you for sharing. Run free handsome Dozer. Big virtual hugs to you. :hug: