Meet my Hooligan

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by zigisla, Oct 16, 2013.

1. zigisla

zigisla Registered Users

Hi guys,

I have gone about this forum lark in slightly the wrong way. :-[ I have posted a topic for advice without first introducing myself. (getting used to forums i guess).
    My name is Michael and I have just taken on a 20 month old Chocolate Labrador. :eek: Our first week was absolutely manic. It was like having toddlers back in the house again; moving everything out of reach, putting valuables above head height etc. So I thought I need help and found the Labrador site. ;D After posting a question, I was directed to this forum which has been a god send of information for me.
    We have graduated from our C1 clicker course last night and although I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate the training and perfect some basic commands, I have signed up to the advanced course were distractions are set up for you so you don't have to "Fake it". ;) hopefully this, coupled with some "Total Recall" training, he will eventually settle down. A bit anyway!! His pal is Ruby, a Lab x Collie (bred to be a good gun dog; thought Labs did this very well on their own!!), she is nearly three and almost your designer dog. Walks great to heel, spot on recall and just loves your company; - if only he would take heed. Still time will tell and lots of help from you guys.
    As soon as I can work out how to do it, I will post some pics.

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Meet my Hooligan

Hi Michael,
    I think I said hi already on your post but just making it official ;D...don't worry we don't hold manners lapses against anyone on here......how can we? We own Labradors!! ;D and don't worry I did exactly the same...and everybody has forgiven me and helped me out no end.....I'm still curious as how you have come you chocolate drop at 20 months? What's his story?
    Best wishes
    Angela and Dexter

3. zigisla

zigisla Registered Users

Here goes;-
    We have had dogs for quite a few years now and have been fortunate to have long livers. Our last dog was a GSD x Saluki from the SSPCA who blessed us with 15 fantastic years and in fact out lived two other dogs. When we lost one of our Dogs it left little Isla as our only dog which was a bit strange as we have always had two. Whilst away from home for a course; I am a current serving Serviceman in the Navy, my wife graciously looked after a work colleague's eight month old dog; Ruby, for a weekend. He never came back for her!! (our gain, his loss), but that's another story. Isla and Ruby lived together for the next two years, but in Aug this year Isla had a stroke and didn't recover. This left a very bouncy 2 1/2 year old without a doggie pal and us as single dog owners again. We registered with Labrador Retriever Rescue Southern England (LRRSE) and requested a placid, calm well behaved two year old bitch to match our now senior ish life style and Ruby's calmer, but lovely nature.

Enter Finley, stage right.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Any dog that enters stage right is going to be a character! ;D

Welcome from Riley and I ;D

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah thankyou...it was curiosity,not nosiness....promise!Oh someone has said it before on here,dogs find us......Finley might not match your request but he sounds a little bundle of wonderful lab personality!
    Unbelievable that rubys owner didn't come back :eek: ....
    I haven't had to face losing a four legged one as Dexter is our first dog but it sounds like all your previous dogs have had happy,healthy ,long ,fun filled lives with you .
    I love that you rescued Finley ,it breaks my heart now I'm a dog owner thinking about dogs on rescue centres
    :'(

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome from me Helen, Hattie 6 years and our rescue boy Charlie 2 3/4 years who definitely entered stage right :eek:

So glad for Ruby but how could he not come back for her - heart breaking :'( :'(

Helen x

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Good to have you and your family (all species) here :)

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Michael.
    Thanks for the story.
    I am a child of Portsmouth, Chatam, Faslane, Torpoint, Rosyth and have a little bit of Lossiemouth and Singaopre chucked in for good measure.
    Sounds like Ruby and Finley are both lucky pups.

jac

9. bbrown

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=2912.msg30508#msg30508 date=1381957732]
    Hi Michael.
    Thanks for the story.
    I am a child of Portsmouth, Chatam, Faslane, Torpoint, Rosyth and have a little bit of Lossiemouth and Singaopre chucked in for good measure.
    Sounds like Ruby and Finley are both lucky pups.

jac
    [/quote]

Oh jac I didn't realise that. I'm a navy brat too....born Helensburgh, lived Plymouth, Rosyth, Gosport/Portsmouth(twice) and Thurso :D

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ah, interesting Barbara. I was born up in Lossiemouth (well Dr Grays in Elgin) and my older brother in Aden.
    Its an interesting life. ;D
    Spent the latter years in Scotland but my dad was relocated to Torpoint the summer before me starting Uni in Dundee
    We lived up Smugglers Way then Arden Hill in Rhu. Went then to Rosyth to do last 2 primary years then all of secondary school at Woodmill as dad was posted to couple of frigates during that time. My brother went to boarding school in Dunblane.
    X

11. bbrown

We lived in smugglers way too!! And I did a couple of years at primary in Rosyth :) it's a small world!

Dad was a submariner but an engineer with a specialty in nuclear power so we went up to Thurso for him to work at the power station and he taught at Caledonia hence the the Rosyth stay. Otherwise it was sub bases - Helensburgh, Plymouth and Gosport :)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there, welcome to you, Finley, and Ruby. From me and a teenage chocolate hooligan called Charlie.

Enjoy the forum!

13. zigisla

zigisla Registered Users

Thanks for the welcome guys,

Finley's previous owner had two young children and I think she was a single Mum or Dad worked long hours. - Didn't pry. Couldn’t cope with big bouncy boy (Finley that is) as well as family, so had to make that hard decision to let him go and I can certainly see why. Not only eyes in the back of your head for the kids, but for a dog too!! ???
    I am not sure if Ruby’s owner had an ulterior motive behind asking Jane to look after her, but when he returned from the weekend, he did say could you keep her as my wife can’t cope with the kids and dog and she is soooo bouncy and I work away a lot etc. etc. Heard this before – you get the drift. ::) When I got home, Jane says to me “we are looking after this puppy for a colleague, but what would you do with her if she was yours?”
    “Give her a bath I said, she sticks”.
    “Where is the shampoo” came the reply. :eek:
    As I said his loss our gain as she has turned out lovely, but we have since found out they have a new puppy. Don’t know what breed, probably a foot twitcher!!! ;) (Can I say that??) She was and still is a little nervous of the “bigger built Lady” :-[ and any kids. We think because she was a hyper pup, she was smacked by the wife for knocking over the kids and being pulled around by them, so she relates kids playing to being smacked (or at least reprimanded – careful Michael - no evidence of abuse). :mad: I used to take her to work with me where she met loads of people and has eventually started to trust people, but only if one of us are around. :)
    It is a small world where a fare few of you seem to be “Navy Brats”. We have moved around a fair bit as well, but as a Naval Air Mechanic, we are limited to areas where Air Stations are. I have been in refit on board but not spent too long in Rosyth and Plymouth. 15 years in Cornwall, 5 years in Scotland, 5 years in Somerset and 7 years in Gosport / Fareham. My kids; long left me now though, moved around as well, so I know what you guys went through. Nice to be part of the forum will keep you posted on our progress.

14. bbrown

Sounds like Ruby and Finlay have fallen on their paws with you. Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures together :)

15. zigisla

zigisla Registered Users

Hopefully I have followed the instructions correctly and here are Finley and Ruby.
    [​IMG][/url]
    image by michaelhammond1, on Flickr
    [/img]

If not, here is a blank page.

16. bbrown

each set of square brackets should have the same tag in i.e. img and the second set of brackets should have a backslash before the tag i.e. /img
    I think you've got a bit of url and a bit of img....
    if you press the button underneath the button with a B on it you should get your pair of tags and then you just need to pop your link in between the two....

Hope that helps !

17. bbrown

18. zigisla

zigisla Registered Users

Many thanks for you help. I'll keep at it. One day ill get it. And a good dog!!!

19. bbrown

[quote author=zigisla link=topic=2912.msg30575#msg30575 date=1382004791]
    [​IMG][/url]
    image by michaelhammond1, on Flickr
    [/img]

2nd time lucky
    [/quote]

Sadly not :( you've got a lot of tags in your post(the bits in square brackets) you should only need a pair that go either side of your link from Flickr. I'm afraid I don't use Flickr so I'm not sure if you're getting extra tags from there. Frustratingly I can't write exactly what you need as it turns into an image (of course!) when posted. You shouldn't need any url tags that look like this . Give it another go..... :) I ...ticflickr.com/5526/10325300064_b36223ecb8.jpg

20. zigisla

zigisla Registered Users

New one

[​IMG]

and now?