Meet "Vino" the Winery Dog!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Vino's Mama, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Vino's Mama

Vino's Mama Registered Users

Hello all from Baraboo, WI!

I just joined this site today as I'm getting frustrated with my beautiful, but naughty, English Lab pup. Vino is now almost 6 months old. I've had dogs all of my life, but never a lab. My last dog was an American Bulldog/Staff Terrier mix and was the love of my life. She was very affectionate a true affectional cuddle bug, but I couldn't trust her around certain people and my young grandchildren. After losing her, I wanted to find a dog breed who loves everyone, is gentle and smart and a dog I can trust at our winery as well as around my grandchildren. Because I love the "stocky" build of pits, I thought that an English Lab would be perfect for our family. Vino is very smart and for the most part has been easy to train. Was actually potty trained in TWO days. Not even kidding! He goes willingly into his kennel with a treat. He sits, stays, and knows how to shake. He stays around the yard and walks fairly well on a leash once we get going. My biggest issue has been his barking for attention. He stands in front of me, or puts his paws on my lap, and just BARKS. LOUDLY, I might add. I have tried ignoring him, getting up and walking away. He continues to follow and bark. Last evening was the worst. Trying to watch a movie, and he barked the entire two hours. My head was pounding and my relaxing evening was not so relaxing, LOL!! My other issue is his mouthiness. It has improved greatly over the last month, but is still pretty intense. He likes to go for faces. He doesn't bite, but his mouth is always open, so faces can sometimes get caught on his teeth. When people come over, he is a complete nightmare for at least 1/2 hour. He seems very assertive and stubborn. It has been a power struggle between us. I'm trying to bond with him but he is making it difficult. He finally has started to "cuddle" a little bit, but is constantly on the move. He sits on my lap and is up and down constantly. He just seems to require CONSTANT contact and wants to be the center of attention at all times. I get that he's a puppy, but his barking for attention seems excessive to me. HELP!! I had this vision of him being in our winery tasting room, laying quietly at my feet, after greeting our customers with a wag of his tail! I'm beginning to now understand this vision will not come to fruition for at least a few more years! LOL! He is beautiful and loving, just WILD! Any help or advice would be appreciated. - New English Lab Mommy

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

selina27 likes this.
  3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Welcome to you & Vino - super name !

4. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. He is only a baby yet, Boogie has given you some great links off this site. I am sure he will settle down when he is a bit older.