Merlin's training log

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Georgie Gerl, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Georgie Gerl

Georgie Gerl Registered Users

Merlin and I have started training for the third time after a series of misadventures. Having all the good intentions to start training as soon as his vaccinations were done, term one finished early when he needed surgery on his right foreleg due to asynchronous bone growth.

Then the first week of term two I was getting him out of the car and hadn't got a proper hold on the lead when 16 kgs of over excited labrador puppy bolted. I caught him with no harm to him but first aid, followed by a visit to the medical centre to get the tear on my right index finger stitched - and three moths later the finger is still not right but I can now hold the lead.

So, have just started term three (still in foundation class of course) with an eight month old, 25 kg, lovely, happy, very boisterous puppy. Thank goodness for the invention of harnesses or I'd never be able to hold him (did I mention very boisterous?). But we still had a good morning - he responded well for most of the class with only the occasional outbreak of over enthusiam. Would have loved to spend time working with him this week but have had to send him to the kennels so we can dog proof an area of the backyard after discovering the error of using moo and chook poo to mulch the garden (we can't stop Merlin from eating the stuff....)

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Georgie, welcome to you and your Merlin from me and my Merlin in Germany! My boy is also very young, just seven months old - and I cannot even imagine the awfulness of trying to deal with manure in the garden with a young labrador around!!!

Whereabouts are you based?

3. Georgie Gerl

Georgie Gerl Registered Users

Hi Karen, thank you for your warm welcome :). We're based in Australia. I'll try to post a photo so you can see my Merlin - he's a black Labrador. Is your Melin a boisterous fellow too?

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Georgie, I have relatives in Australia - my sister lives in Merimbula, and my niece in Melbourne. My Merlin is actually a fairly laid-back kind of dog (considering he is seven months old!). He is quite a big lad, and weighs 30kg. I am lucky because my older dog is a calm character, and I think this rubs off on him. Here they both are: as you can see Merlin is quite a bit bigger than Poppy.

IMG_0015.JPG

Sven and snowbunny like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Bet you must be missing him this week!