Milly is limping again.

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by AnnetteB, Jun 27, 2014.

1. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Re: Milly is limping again.

Thanks Rachael. I'm thinking she must be feeling better. Makes it harder to keep her calm. Thankfully she is pretty happy in the play pen. I think we will have to use the head halter though even for our toilet breaks. She thinks it's walk, play, run, protect time lol. She has already trimmed down a little I think but I guess the scales will tell next week:)

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Awww, love the playpen set up :) Millie is looking really good :) fingers crossed she will recover quickly and be back playing in a few months xx

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We used the same playpen for Poppy, I thought it was great. Glad Milly is feeling so much better :)

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh bless Milly, get well gentle hugs xxx

5. Katie+Ollie

Katie+Ollie Registered Users

Hi Annette,
    Loved the pictures, Milly is a beauty! Really glad to hear that she's doing well. Ollie was the same, didn't show any interest in the wound and so he was fine for the stitches to come out after 9 days and hasn't touched it since. Ollie is seeming a lot more spightly which could be a positive sign that he is a lot more comfortable since having the joint cleaned out. He's still limping slightly but it's much less severe than before and is more sporadic. He's now four weeks post-op. Have any other members of this thread got some experience of this healing period and any thoughts as to whether or not this is normal-ish? I would love to hear from you as to how your dogs got on so I know what to expect. We're not up to 25 minutes three times a day for walks, still on the lead unfortunately but it's what needs to be done!
    Best wishes,
    Katie

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

You're doing so well. I am in awe of you all dealing with such post op care :)

So pleased she's doing well, long may it continue!

7. Katie+Ollie

Katie+Ollie Registered Users

Just a little addition with regard to your comment on supplements. Our vet mentioned trying Ollie on a special food for dogs with joint problems - the sort that you buy in very small bags from the vets...£ £ £ £ £!!! We looked into our options and decided to keep with our normal food and use supplements, which was supported by the vet. We were recommended by the vet at the beginning of Ollie's lameness to use Seraquin, which has glucosamine, tumeric (natural anti-inflammatry apparently) and chondritin. £45 for a pack of 60 in the vets, £15 online. I'm not sure what the rules are for endorsing particular websites so I won't mention the one we use in this post, if someone can give me the ok though I'd be happy to point you in the right direction if you would like to try them. Anyway Ollie absolutely loves them, he thinks they're treats! There are lots of supplements available and probably many that are more economical but Seraquin has much higher concentrations of active ingredients in comparison to the others I researched and as Ollie adores them I thought we'd stay with those. I should imagine he'll have these for life now that we know he has joint problems - we'll do all that we can to try and help him fight off any deterioration.

Katie :)

8. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

What a lovely girl! Hope she recovers well and doesn't get too frustrated with restrictions.

9. AnnetteB

Thanks Katie. I'm leaning toward staying with our normal diet and just going with the additives. I'm using sashes blend which was what the vet recommended. It has the condroitin, omega 3 fish oils and glucosamine. She loves that too. Smells gross but goes down no trouble. Glad Ollie is doing so well. We have another 8 days on only the 5 min toilet breaks then we can add in a 5 min walk. She is coping really well so far but time will tell:)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm glad it seems to be going well. :)

[quote author=AnnetteB link=topic=6768.msg109917#msg109917 date=1410814614]
    She is coping really well so far but time will tell:)
    [/quote]

I was terrified that the restrictions would have a bad effect on Charlie - all that young dog energy cooped up for so long, plus no interactions with other dogs. :( And it was so much longer than "normal" for Charlie as we had to wait for the op, because he was too young. But he came through it just fine. :) I think he is more immature than he would have been, particularly around other dogs, and of course his training is behind where it should be. But really, if loving people are doing everything they can, I think they come through ok. :)

Best of luck.

11. Dr CEM

Dr CEM Registered Users

What lovely photos- hope the healing process is going well, best wishes,

12. AnnetteB

Thanks Julie. It's great to hear someone who, has been through even more, come through the other end no worse of. It's funny how my kids are reacting. They are really feeling for her. It's so precious. They have been getting in the crate with her and just sitting with her talking to her and patting her. I do have to hold her quite firmly when they first go in as she gets soooo over excited that she tries to jump all over them but once she settles down they could curl up and sleep with her:) it's very cute.

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Aw, isn't that fantastic :) Your kids are absolutely lovely.

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Not met your children but I'm with Rachael. What a lovely sounding bunch :)

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ahhh well done to your children :)

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's great. :) She'll be better with loads of company.

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What nice children you have! That's a wonderful life lesson for them - compassion and care for animals. Super.

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Brilliant and well done to your children :D x

19. AnnetteB

Sorry haven't been on in ages. We have just moved to sunny Queensland so it has been a very busy couple of months. So here's an update.

Milly is doing brilliantly. She turned 1 on our trip over to QLD so got some nice treats along the way. Her leg has fully healed and she has the go ahead for full excersises with just a few sensible restrictions. Our one challenge was keeping her lean during recovery so I'm glad it's all over. She is looking great and I'm glad to be able to get back to normal training and activity.

I have just put a deposit down on a new pup so it's all very exciting. Along with building our first home it's looking like a fun but busy year ahead for us.

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Great to hear from you Annette and Milly's progress....wow sounds like you've had a busy time...hope 2015 is a great year for you with all your projects x
    Best wishes
    Angela x