Mollie, future Guide Dog.

Discussion in 'Labradors in Service' started by Boogie, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

If she passes the rest of her health tests, when will she have her first litter?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She will be two to two and a half years old, depending on when her seasons fall.

So she'll be mated probably not the next season, but the one after.

:)

AngelConradie, drjs@5 and Joy like this.
  3. Boogie

Molly has her hip x-rays on the 18th August.

Fingers crossed xx

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Eeek, is she having them under sedation or GA? What about elbows? Good luck, Molly!

5. Boogie

Yes, GA, all her joints will be x-rayed.

The results will come back about 10 days after that - I assume they have to send them off to experts for analysis?

She's a big girl now. Here's a photo of her post - breakfast with Kong and Kong thingies to stop her charging around after eating.

I've done a norty thing with her, I let her sprawl across my knee when I'm on a chair for cuddles. I should get on the floor with her for this but I've been lazy. If she fulfills her destiny it won't matter but if she doesn't and becomes a Guide Dog it will matter - as an owner who can't see with a cup of tea, or whatever and a dog who 'plonks' is not a good combination.

*feeling guilty*. I won't do it again (neither will I confess to my supervisor lol)

IMG_4155.JPG

CMartin, Granca, Sven and 11 others like this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehe, I hope your supervisor doesn't read the forum!! :rolleyes:o_O

Granca, drjs@5 and Boogie like this.
  7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

She's grown into such an elegant lady in such a short time! If she passes all her tests, how much longer will she be with you?

Boogie likes this.
  8. Boogie

Test results -if positive - then off she goes, maybe a week or so afterwards :(

Must get her puppy book made - I do a book of photos for their owner (I know they may not be able to see them but a relative/friend could describe them)

CMartin, AngelConradie, Cath and 5 others like this.
  9. Emily_BabbelHund

Oh. :( I know that's the whole idea, but I was selfishly hoping she'd be with you for longer.

That's a lovely idea to do the puppy book and probably good for you, too. Reminds you of all the progress you've made together and the reason why you do it even if it is so hard to say goodbye. If I was her new human, I would certainly treasure it. :heart:

MF likes this.
  10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh gosh :( that's not long.
    Fingers crossed but I'm not sure for what xx

MF and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  11. MF

MF Registered Users

Wow I would never be able to cope. Such a generous thing you do.

kateincornwall likes this.
  12. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Cor @Boogie, super impressed at what you do - we will miss hearing about Mollie and seeing photos of her - goodness knows how you feel.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

She's a lovely girl - such a bitter-sweet feeling!

selina27 likes this.
  14. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Fingers crossed she passes!

What will happen if she doesn't? Will you keep her? Xx

15. Boogie

If she doesn't pass she'll be neutered then, when she has recovered, it will be off to Big School and a career as a Guide Dog for her.

16. Boogie

My supervisor has just been round, we went for a walk and a free run to the woods - and she's really pleased with Mollie. She said she's fabulous :heart:

She did tell me that her hips will have to be excellent, not just good. They will only breed from the best, so we will see. If she makes it to the breeding centre she'll have another temperament test before she's placed in her permanent home. They especially test their reactions to the unexpected as they want them to be good role models to the pups in the first six weeks. I'm sure Mollie will pass that, she's really bomb proof :)

I feel a bit in limbo now, until we get the x-ray over with. Do I prepare for a new pup or not?

I know of a lovely litter which are coming up the day I would get one, if Mollie goes, so I'm stalking her fb page lol.

There are 7 boys and 3 girls - so one of the boys could be mine - eeep!

IMG_4163.JPG

CMartin, MF, Kelsey&Axel and 10 others like this.
  17. Emily_BabbelHund

Goodness - they're so little they barely look like dogs!

Mixed feelings indeed - the limbo, being sad about Mollie going, wondering where she'll go, getting excited about a new puppy... I'd be a puddle! :hug:

18. Boogie

That was hard!

I just got an email offering me a black and tan German Shepherd male pup. I turned him down - I sooooo wanted to say yes, the GS dogs in our programmes are glorious.

But - OH is so very supportive of my puppy rearing and will do anything for the pups (apart from getting up in the night lol) he enjoys it as much as I do. I work two afternoons a week - I teach art one afternoon and coach ADHD adults the other - so he is puppy carer then. He says he doesn't want a GS. I will talk him round, but feel that now is not the time.

Arrrrrrgggghhhh! That was a difficult 'no thank you' to say!

Granca, Atemas and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  19. Emily_BabbelHund

Wow - a GSD would surely be a departure for you! But you've been talking about having a 100% GR for a while now, so maybe that's your destiny for the next pup. :)

For what it's worth, I actually think a GSD would be easier than a Lab as a puppy. I saw quite a few of them in puppy classes and they along with my Rotties were always the most chilled out and easiest to manage. And the Labs and pit bulls were the craziest!

20. Boogie

Yes - I see the same at puppy classes. Labs are craziest, followed by Lab/GRs, the GRs are 'stubborn' and hard to train, but gentle and loving. The GS's are a dream.

I will wage a campaign for the next year or so for a GS lol. My friend waited two years for a GS so it was a big decision to say no, they don't come up very often - Mr Boogs doesn't appreciate that, of course. He just says 'German Shepherds are too big' :rolleyes:

Someone will be thrilled with their GS pup!

drjs@5 and kateincornwall like this.