Monty's abscess

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by leejane, Sep 9, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh poor lamb , just look at his sorry face , mind you I do think Labradors do the poorly look extremely well , bless him x

leejane likes this.
  2. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

This is exactly what I could do with, but don't have any at home, we are experimenting with a cut off pop sock at the moment. I can't remember this being a problem the previous 4 (!) times he's had a shaved patch.
    We may be back at the vet tomorrow anyway as I'm a bit worried his actual wound site is swollen again, it's bigger than it was last night :(

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

On no , sorry to read this , fingers crossed the blasted thing will soon disappear , poor Monty x

4. leejane

Thanks @kateincornwall , I'm not panicking yet as although it did look pretty good last night, there might just be some residual swelling or bruising today from where they drained it. Our check up appointment is Wednesday morning but I'll definitely go back earlier if I think the abscess is still there.

kateincornwall likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So sorry that's a worry.

6. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Oh no poor Monty, what a dreadful worry. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. Our veterinary nurse suggested I put Sudocrem on Mabel's shaved patch. I did say to the nurse "do you mean the same cream for babies bottoms?" :) It certainly helped.

7. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hope it is starting to heal today.
    Definitely milking it, but who could resist a face like that

8. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

Poor Monty - I hope it's healing better today.

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

So sorry, poor Monty. I really hope he is feeling better today. Any news? xx

10. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I have used Sudocrem cream very successfully in the past on shaved patches on Sky and once when she grazed herself on some barbed wire - thank you for reminding me of this it's good stuff :).

11. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Hope Monty is recovering.

12. leejane

Hi all,
    yes, he's doing ok - the wound itself seems to have almost closed up, there's just the slightest of marks on the cotton wool when I clean it morning and night. There's a small raised section but I am hoping that this is just the bruising from the incision rather than any remaining abscess - I will see what the vet says tomorrow morning. He's a bit quieter than usual - took himslef off to bed early last night and slept in this morning - but I'm trying not to read too much into that. Still licking the bald patch on his leg, but less so now. The pop sock over it lasted all of ten minutes!
    thanks for your messagesxx

kateincornwall, MF and edzbird like this.
  13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Natalie, such good news to read. You must be so relieved. Big hugs to Monty from us :hug: xx

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Glad the abscess seems to be clearing up....

The guy who does our coffee at work had an abscess come up overnight on one of his dog's necks last week. The Vet told him that they can go from nothing to the size of a cricket ball in a very short period of time, as in a couple of hours.

So definitely don't feel bad that you didn't notice. There was probably nothing there to see when you set off in the car.

15. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

Such a worry for both of you. Glad to hear he's on the mend and hopefully all will go well with the vet appointment.

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hope he gets a good report from the vet x

17. leejane

Agggh, got home last night to find a scrunched up, chewed pack of antibiotics on the floor, he had eaten over 3 days worth while I was out!
    Whilst on hold to the vet I had images of rushing him there to have his stomach pumped..... but turns out that I had no need to worry, worse case would be a bit of a squitty tummy.
    Weird thing is, the tablets were right next to a pack of treats which he completely ignored! Weird dog

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Monty. How is he this morning Natalie? Really hoping for all concerned that there is no squitty tummy, I think you have all been through enough. Sending hugs to you and Monty :hug: xx

19. leejane

He seems ok, hasn't been out yet this morning and slept through the night so I think his stomach is fine, phew!

drjs@5, Pilatelover and SwampDonkey like this.
  20. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Oh dear, what a worry. How strange he eat the tablets and left the treats. Funny the things our dogs do. Xx