Moving 1 year old Lab out of the crate

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Alex Wilson, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Alex Wilson

Alex Wilson Registered Users

Hello everyone!

Monty is now 1 and due to some work going on in our house we are looking at moving him out of the crate and into a bed to make a bit of space. He's generally fairly well behaved now, he's calmed down a lot (he was a little terror for about 6 months!), he doesn't chew anymore etc, we're just a little nervous about moving him out. We did try this once at Xmas and he slept in the kitchen while we had another of the family Labs with us, he was really good overnight but chewed the door when I popped out during the day (we think this could have been an anxiety thing because he needed a wee) :(

Does anyone have any tips on how to settle him out of the crate?
    TIA! x

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Alex Wilson

I suggest you take the bed out of the crate and set it up where there is an internal wall along one side. You will need to remove the crate from the area, otherwise he may go in there himself. If you notice him voluntarily going to rest on his bed, tell him that he is a good boy/or reward him. Spend the day letting him get used to the new sleeping arrangements

When he has been active for a while, and toileted, set up a camera to have a view of the room he will be and "leave your place by going say next door" for 10 minutes. For safety sake remove all remotes, etc., that he could access. Don't make a bid deal out of leaving or arriving. When you get back watch the film and observe his behaviour.

Let us know how it goes.

3. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I moved my dog out in stages.
    She used to use her crate which was behind a gate in the kitchen.
    She also had a bed next to the crate and I started to leave the crate door open and she would naturally gravitate to the bed rather than crate. But she was still in the kitchen behind the gate.

Over about a month she moved from bed in kitchen to lounge and hall access.
    I used to go out for short periods initially so I could check if she’d chewed anything but she’d pretty much stopped chewing anyway (she was about 6 months) although I was still careful about what I left lying around for a while.

4. Minehill

Minehill Registered Users

Hi... Our Rosie has come out of the crate to a bed quite happily... but she won't stay in bed ! Anyone walks into the kitchen and she's up... walk out of the kitchen and she's up and standing at the door whining and singing....
    I really don't care where she settles in the kitchen, bed or floor, but she just won't settle at all...
    Any ideas, please

5. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Every time he lays on his mat reward with a treat. If he goes there on his own just walk by and drop a treat. Soon enough he will default to the mat and then you can eventually send him there and work on duration using a sit stay or down stay. Start at 5 seconds and slowly build up time trying not to exceed the threshold.

6. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I don't think I understand the situation. You want the dog to stay in the kitchen, shut in there, and to settle - when people are not in there?