Moving - making a smooth adjustment

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by C Dawg, Feb 20, 2019.

1. C Dawg

C Dawg Registered Users

hi all!
    Thanks in advance for any advice and tips you can give me on this topic.

My 10 mos. old pup and I will be moving from a little 1 bedroom apartment into a large 2 story house in about a month. I plan on having a friend watch my girl while the movers are doing their thing, but I’m wondering what I can do to make the move as least stressful to her as possible.

I plan on taking a couple days off from work so it happens over a four day weekend so she has as much time as possible to adjust with me there before I leave her home alone. I can’t take any more time off than that though.

Thanks for your help!! I don’t know what I’d do without this site!!!

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

3. C Dawg

C Dawg Registered Users

Thank you!!!!!!

4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Have you ever taken her to someone else's house? None of our Labs, were ever upset going to a different house. They go to our Cabin on many weekends, , but also go with us on vacation. They have never been the least bit upset by a new location. Hopefully, you may be surprised at how little she is affected by the move.

5. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

It sounds to me that you are planning really well for the move.

Let her have a good look around when she gets there. But with you there, her usual bed and her toys, I don’t expect she’ll take long to settle.

My dog spends quite a lot of time at my parents and spends the first few hours checking everything out, having a good sniff, looking for any food dropped that hasn’t been cleared, then she’s settled as if she was at her own home.

Good luck with the move!

6. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

Yes, I think with a young dog you won't have too many problems. You will be there, and more likely than not that will make them feel secure.

Chewie visits our parents regularly and has stayed with his walker no problems- except he makes himself a little too comfortable!

7. C Dawg

C Dawg Registered Users

Thanks for all the replies! I tend to be a worry wart it looks like...lol.

8. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

That's okay. It's better to worry a bit than to not worry at all, and end up with a problem.