Moving to our new home with 8 month old Corona

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jeanine, Mar 24, 2017.

1. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

The day is finally here, we will be moving to our new home next Friday. It's a new build so we've been bringing Corona to the lot and inside the house, as it's been progressing, very often. We would like to train her to potty in one specific area, so we have built her a potty pen as per instructions online, but we are nervous about how it will go, since she's been peeing on grass up until now. Fingers crossed there. She will be boarded for a couple of nights and days during the madness of actually moving, and then into the new home. Any advice to make this transition less stressful for her? Anyone with experience moving to a new home with a dog? How long does it take for them to get adjusted?

2. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Hi Jeanine,

I don't have experience of moving home with my pup but I've been to stay with my parents a couple of times since I've had her which is like getting used to a new environment with two extra people involved.

The last time we went my girl was about 4.5 months and she spent the first afternoon/evening we were there exploring/hoovering the carpets and kitchen for any stray food and generally being more excitable than usual and I was a bit concerned she was going to find it hard to settle. But after a good night's sleep in her crate she was back to her normal self for the next 4 days we were there, able to settle and relax and not into everything or chewing everything.
    The garden was somewhere I had to keep a close eye on her because it is large with places to explore and hide in but it was fine, I accompany her into the garden anyway.

Corona will have all her familiar things around her I imagine including her toys, beds and you of course!

Good luck with the move!

jeanine likes this.
  3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Having moved home with my previous dogs , all I would advise is to be completely relaxed yourself , not easy I know but as our dogs pick up on stresses , the more " normal " you behave , the better it will be for her ! Dogs are incredibly adaptable , as long as we are there , they soon settle , she will be just fine, good luck and enjoy your new home x

jeanine and selina27 like this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh how exciting for you!
    I'm sure she will be happy to be wherever you are.
    I haven't done this either, but make sure you give her plenty of time and relax with her best you can.
    Good luck!

jeanine likes this.
  5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I moved house with our springer spaniel, but it was 30 years ago. As far as I can remember we didn't have any problems with the dog settling into our new home. She had us, she had her food bowl and she had her tennis balls, so she was happy! Good luck for next Friday.

jeanine likes this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

No experience to offer you any help but just wanted to wish you luck with the big move, hope you enjoy your new home :) x

jeanine likes this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

No had any problems moving with an older dog - or indeed living between 2 houses. Dogs are very adaptable. All she needs to know is the way out for toileting and where her food & water is. She'll settle in no trouble.

jeanine likes this.
  8. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Our dogs have always had two homes, our house in town and our ski cabin. No real issues getting them used to either of them. The rules are a little different, since we don't have a fence or dog door at the cabin, but they have figured that out, and we just have to take them out when they need to go, or we want to go for a walk.

jeanine likes this.