Mud, mud, not so glorious mud!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by snowbunny, Jan 29, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Ugh, I'm not used to mud. How you UK bods cope, I have no idea!

Anyway, after some advice. The place I'm staying at has an enclosed garden at the back, which is great for taking Luna out for going to the toilet at all hours. Sadly, the grass isn't in the best condition because it obviously doesn't get a huge amount of sunlight, even in the summer. This means, because the grass is a bit thin, it's super muddy when it rains. Since being here, I've been lucky because it's not rained a massive amount, but even so, the grass is getting damaged from the dogs running around on it and, where Luna's toilet pen has been, it's basically just mud now, as she walks round and round, squashing down any grass there is, and the mud covers it. I've moved the pen several times, but it means that a larger area is getting trashed!

It's been raining heavily today, and the forecast shows it's not going to be stopping any time soon. From the step down onto the grass, it's a mud pit - I stepped onto it in my fake (but oh, ever-so-sexy) Crocs earlier and the mud oozed in through the holes. Nice.

It's not a problem of the dogs bringing it into the house, because I have loads of mats and rubber flooring down, and wipe their feet, but I'm really concerned about the damage to the grass.

So, any suggestions? I thought about buying a load of felt or similar and laying it over the most-walked areas, such as under the small step from the decking onto the "grass" (mud). But, will that kill any grass that is there?

How do you cope?! Ugh!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Eeek!
    Anything mat-like (like your felt) is going to cut out light and kill the grass.
    You can get honey-comb style matting which I think is better but a longer-term project rather than a quick fix.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Mud, oh how I hate mud, it's the worst thing. What about some thick plastic sheeting, you could weight it down with bricks at the corners. The light could still get through, maybe? It's a worry when you're renting. Could you not allow them to run around on it just take them out for toileting. A good run around on the beach might be best? I'm lucky that we have a paved courtyard that has gated access so no going into the garden in this awful weather.

5. snowbunny

Oh, the big dogs I'm going to stop going out on it while it's raining - they don't need to, and will do their stuff on their walks like normal. But with Luna being so little, I have to take her out regularly. The biggest issue is the place where I step off the step onto the "grass", because there's only one small step, so it takes a real battering, just from me! There are already a couple of those honeycomb mats there, but they're sinking in the mud, and then the bit beyond, where I have to walk still, is getting very squidgy very quickly.

Plastic sounds like it could be a good idea, maybe.

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh I didn't mean little Luna, bless her. What about getting some wide wooden boards supported on bricks to walk along over the squidgy section just to get to a spot for Luna?

7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

You could put a couple of boards down for you to step on when you walk outside. This helps distribute your weight and minimise damage. You will need to lift the boards (and perhaps put in another spot) periodically to allow light to get to the grass. When you've moved the board, use a fork to poke holes into the ground to help remove any compaction and aid drainage :)

8. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oops, cross post!

charlie likes this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Great minds think alike @Emily ;) x

10. snowbunny

I'm not sure boards would really help, because it'll just move the area where the mud is being brought up to the edge of those boards. I've moved the pen lots of times already because the grass gets squished and the mud comes up, so by the end of my stay, I'm going to be the far end of the garden - I'm not about to buy enough boards to cover the whole lawn :D
    Plastic has given me the thought of making a "walkway" with a runner, like this... https://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Ar...F8&qid=1485727637&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+mat

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

The plastic runner was what I had in mind. I think that will be an economic way and could help, even if only a little :)

snowbunny likes this.
  12. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Im having the same trouble with my own house now. Its a nightmare. So i havent got any advice yet (sorry) more i know the feeling comments.

What makes things worse our garden is really big, and the so called grasss is predominatly moss which is discusting. And its all dying from Rolos pee, (moss dies so much easier than grass.but takes the grass worh it)
    And Rolo still eats and digs the areas its muddy.

Been getting quoted a HUGE ammount to renovate our garden i.e larger patio area less grass, its all a headache!

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hmm...do you think there is a bamboo runner that could work.
    Plastic is so good at killing things in the garden.

14. snowbunny

My sister had her lawn replaced with fake grass. I know it's not eco-friendly, but it's AMAZING for dog owners!

Bamboo runner? No idea! I thought felt would be good because the air could still get through. But it would definitely stop the light, too.

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

16. snowbunny

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Plastic would be worse.
    I was thinking of what they use to help army tanks over bogs - they use some sort of roll-out stuff a bit like the bamboo fencing, no idea what its made of. No doubt something really hi-tec these days

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Aquasorb cloths - brilliant - you don't need to dry them, just wash and wring out.

:)

19. snowbunny

I have them for the dogs, but I'm not sure they'd help save the grass? :D

20. Emily

Emily Registered Users

It's funny that you say that because we chose not to put down fake grass after a friend had a bad experience. The first issue is that sun + fake grass + dog wee = stink!! Obviously you can get around this by hosing down when they do a wee but the sand base of the fake grass really soaked up the wee :confused:

The second issue was that a random zoomies session on the "grass" resulted in burnt paw pads!