Multiple locations for house training - and anyone not crating?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by andreasjuuls, Dec 12, 2014.

1. andreasjuuls

andreasjuuls Registered Users

Re: Multiple locations for house training - and anyone not crating?

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=9077.msg130134#msg130134 date=1418490168]
    Gypsy's spending area is patio too.

I hose it down every day and it's just fine.

Artificial grass laid on patio doesn't work - it holds the urine and stinks in no time at all, no amount of hosing gets rid of the smell. But he won't have any trouble transitioning to grass - they prefer to wee on grass.

Here are Tatze and Gypsy in Gypsy's spending area. That small patch of artificial grass was very quickly consigned to the bin!

(Tatze never uses Gypsy's area but comes with us as Gypsy gets a treat, so Tatze isn't missing out!)

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

How do you make the transition to grass and a real outdoor area? My concern is that if I teach him to potty in the patio (it is rather big at least), then he will be very hard to teach to go in the real outdoor areas (parks, trails etc) later on when his vacines are complete. It will be a 4-5 week period where the pottying would have to happen on the patio. Valid concern or not?

2. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

Generally they go when they need to so just make sure you are on grass when that happens. I believe you may be over thinking it, they do work it out quite fast IME.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I don't think you need to worry. Mine only have a paved terrace at home but have started to go when we're out. They naturally prefer to go on natural terrain (grass, snow etc) and haven't yet gone on any tarmac areas. In fact, DH shovelled some of the compressed snow off our terrace earlier, so it was half paved, half ice. They were brought up going on the paving, but still chose to go on the ice.
    When I started walking them after their vaccinations, I'd go on a walk when I knew they needed the loo so were more likely to go. They get lots of praise when they go outside. They still prefer to hold it for home, but go for a poo on maybe one in every five walks out and wee about 75% of the time.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi and welcome from us, Hattie 7 years and our rescue Charlie 4 years. Hattie is our first dog and we crated her without any training she never toileted in it and this didn't lead to any issues, I also used to crate her for 4 hours twice a week whilst I went to work and she was house trained by 4 months old and slept all night from day one. We didn't make a big issue or fuss about crating so neither did she :) Charlie came to us at 9 months so we crated him because he did chew for a while but when that had passed I put the crate away, again he never toileted in it, again no fuss made about crating so he didn't. I didn't or wouldn't use puppy pads or news paper as I feel this gives out confusing messages to a puppy, toileting is for outside not inside but that's just my personal opinion. Obviously you have to be very vigilant taking your puppy our often and lots of praise too.

Enjoy the forum!

Helen x :)

5. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

I don't think it confuses them, never had a problem ourselves, sometimes in flats with no garden you will have to use paper or pads - I can't see when Elsie is spayed I will want her up and down the stairs with stitches, so pads will be out.

6. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

We had a weekend of company...both dogs and people...and it was wonderful to be able to tuck Bella into her crate when things got a bit wild and EVERYONE needed a break and rest....it was a derned circus most of the weekend!!! :eek: But the crate made it possible for Bella to rest....and we had NO POTTY ACCIDENTS the whole weekend. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)