Murphy Update

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by murphthesmurf, May 27, 2016.

1. murphthesmurf

murphthesmurf Registered Users

Hi all

Quick update. I bought the total recall book (begrudgingly, thinking I knew all about recall ha ha) - what a fantastic read!! Have been doing loads of training with Murphy this week, and making massive progress so far!! Doing lots of attention work around other dogs, clicking and rewarding when looking away from them but actually the best thing Ive done is the bit where you let them off, as they set off charging away, you change direction and go the other way - yes this means going over the same ground lots of times, but boy is Murphy more focussed on me. I am letting him greet dogs, but on my terms, and letting him off lead to play when I want to...it really helped so far and I am really enjoying the training, would highly recommend the book to anyone!! Thanks for the advice!

Bruer, charlie, Karen and 5 others like this.
  2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I am working through the book too with our younger pup. I must look pretty peculiar going one way, turning then running another way! It really does work a treat though! Glad it is working for you :)

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  3. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Well done to you and Murphy. :clap:

4. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

My copy of total recall is on its way. Pretty keen to start it as well. I feel the same way. I think j know enough about recall, but we'll see what the book teaches me. I'm sure I'll learn a lot tho and look like a goose for thinking I know it all

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Great book. Of all my dog training books, it is, by far, my favourite.

Bruer and charlie like this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good boy Murphy :) Total Recall saved our life with Charlie our rescue dog, it will always be on my book shelf :) x