Mushy poop

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Chanda, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Chanda

Chanda Registered Users

So I got my pup at 8 weeks. She was/is on the same kibble the breeder had.

A couple days after I had her her poop started getting mushy. Not diarrhea just softer than soft serve ice cream.

Took her to the vet. She had a fecal test when she was a few weeks old that was negative. We did another fecal that was also negative. She had never been dewormed though.

So the vet decided to deworm her just in case with Panacur. Then put her on Metronidazole for a week or so.

She firmed up.

Now she has been off the metro for two days and had gone mushy again and has not been as interestedly in her food and training.

I was wanting to switch her to raw but I don't want to do it while her intestinal tract is not at its best.

I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. I am helicoptering over her to make sure she isn't eating anything in the yard. No leaves or bark or anything.

I hate to have to spend hundreds back at the vet. Already cost me $200 for the deworming and Metro but we are back to square one...

She is 11 week old now...

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Could you check that your Vet has tested for giardia ? Its a nasty parasite and can cause intestinal problems for ages if not treated , I guess it would have shown on the test but it might be worth checking ? I think I would switch to the chicken and rice regime , for a few days, or white fish and rice . Make sure that the rice is left very sloppy so that she is getting plenty of liquid , pups can dehydrate very quickly . Hoping things improve very soon , for both your sakes .

3. Chanda

Chanda Registered Users

Thanks, yeah, the test included Giardia. She was negative. But has been dewormed using both of the things they use on Giardia anyway.

I will keep an eye on her for another day or so and if not call the vet.... sad...

4. MichaelS

MichaelS Registered Users

Chanda, curious if you have found a solution to this? We are experiencing the same with out puppy of 7 months.